Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Putting hardtop back on.....

Old 10-03-2012, 05:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Putting hardtop back on.....

How do those of you that went with the eyebolt and ratchet strap setup to remove your top, put the top back on? Btw, does anyone know the weight of the painted jku top?
Old 10-03-2012, 06:16 AM
JK Newbie

My top leaks above my rear view mirror any one know how to fix
Old 10-03-2012, 06:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AltitudeDude
How do those of you that went with the eyebolt and ratchet strap setup to remove your top, put the top back on? Btw, does anyone know the weight of the painted jku top?
I just slowly release the ratchet one side at a time.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Temple333
My top leaks above my rear view mirror any one know how to fix
Hi Jack....how are you?
Old 10-03-2012, 06:25 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before I lower the top down, I put 2 regular tie downs on the same eyebolts that the ratchet straps are hooked to them remove the ratchet straps completely. Then I gently push the release button to lower one side of the top down a few inches then the same for the other side. And just keep going back and forth until the top is resting back on the jeep. The last time I removed my top I only raised it up about 2" so lowering it down was quick and easy. Don't know the weight of the painted hardtop either.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:18 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by thedrod

Hi Jack....how are you?
I'm not jack hahaha
Old 10-03-2012, 07:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Temple333
I'm not jack hahaha
Someone, didn't get it. Ha.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 options. 1 I recommend a second person hold the top, undo the straps and put it on.

if you absolutely have no one who can help you. then slow and steady. I have had a couple times this has happened to me. foam roll bar pads/pipe insulation pads work great as they naturally want to "clamp" onto your top. put the pad between the strap and your top. so when you slowly lower it, that it slides on the pads and not your fiberglass top cracking/fraying the edge its touching.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bob-o

Before I lower the top down, I put 2 regular tie downs on the same eyebolts that the ratchet straps are hooked to them remove the ratchet straps completely. Then I gently push the release button to lower one side of the top down a few inches then the same for the other side. And just keep going back and forth until the top is resting back on the jeep. The last time I removed my top I only raised it up about 2" so lowering it down was quick and easy. Don't know the weight of the painted hardtop either.
This. Send set of "smooth release" straps to lower but the ratchet straps hold while up.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:36 PM
JK Junkie

.....If I'm not mistaken, I read an old thread that said the HardTop's weight was around 80-90lbs.....I didn't want to have the worries or hassles of dealing with the ratchet strap method to remove / install my hardtop so instead I purchased a Racor lift (rated up to 200lbs). It's makes the job a whole lot easier and quicker.

Quick Reply: Putting hardtop back on.....