Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Question about certain manufacturer "specs" AKA - measurements

Old 10-07-2012, 02:17 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about certain manufacturer "specs" AKA - measurements

So, I started a thread a while back which was along the same lines of this new thread....

I have access to a top-notch CNC machine, any/all types of metal, bolts, nuts, etc. My father is a plant manager at a national wholesale fabrication company. There really isn't anything his company doesn't make/fabricate for small mom and pop shops to fortune 500 companies.

Anyway, point is - what/how would I be able to get the specs on certain products from all of our favorite manufacturers? For instance - the Poison Spyder Hood Loover. I think its awesome.... but not $130 awesome for a piece of sheet metal with louvers all over it. Again, with the right specs, I can put it into the computer and have it cut out and stamped in no time.

So, like any magician with a trick - he won't tell. Think these manufacturers would be willing to "spill the beans" and fork over the measurements to me? I know for something like the hood louver, I can most likely just measure it out myself....right? EVO Rock Skins too....something I can make easily.

What do you all think? Or any suggestions on how to get them?
Old 10-07-2012, 03:13 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the hood louver and poison spyder body armor if you want to get measurements.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:19 PM
JK Junkie

I just might have to do that dude, appreciate it. I'll bring a pad and pencil and my measuring tape come November when we going wheeling again.

Highly doubt they will provide me with the measurements. To be honest though, its not really the measurements, its the program file for the computer to do the proper cutting. Before anything else could be done, I would need that file. So yea, it's really a long shot. Would just have to wing it... also can get everything powdercoated.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:14 PM
JK Junkie

You might get lucky. Email one of the higher reps, and tell him you are only making one for yourself.

I know there's been 2 guys I remember, that has made rock rails from different companies' specs they provided.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:18 PM
JK Freak

You prob won't get anything if the company thinks you may start producing them...
Old 10-07-2012, 04:23 PM
JK Super Freak

So if I'm understanding this correctly, your wondering if companies that stay in business by selling products will give you dimensions and computer files so that you can build they're exact product at a fraction of the cost? I suppose they MIGHT be willing to sell you those specs so that you can build 1 for yourself. But if you start selling any of these things I imagine you will get hit with a law suit so fast it will make your head spin. I think your best bet is just to design your own stuff. I don't see anyone just giving you specs out of the goodness of their heart. Although I have been wrong before.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:31 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by BigSteve
So if I'm understanding this correctly, your wondering if companies that stay in business by selling products will give you dimensions and computer files so that you can build they're exact product at a fraction of the cost? I suppose they MIGHT be willing to sell you those specs so that you can build 1 for yourself. But if you start selling any of these things I imagine you will get hit with a law suit so fast it will make your head spin. I think your best bet is just to design your own stuff. I don't see anyone just giving you specs out of the goodness of their heart. Although I have been wrong before.
While I completely understand the fact, the only reason why I asked was simply because a CNC machine uses a file downloaded to make the cuts, etc. Also like I said, i'll probably just have to wing it and make my own and just use the resources I have available.

I know it was a long shot, but you never know...
Old 10-07-2012, 07:55 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Epic-Addictions Representative

Your not considering the tooling, setup and maintenance cost of those extremely expensive machines. The people who run those and provide tools/electricity certainly do not do so for free.

A single piece job on something like that would by far exceed the cost of purchasing the product. Not to mention the expense of supporting the off-road community, trails and forums such as this which is what companies like PSC, EVO and Teraflex do.

I'm sorry but what you are suggesting not only amounts to theft of PSC's intellectual property but also theft of your fathers employers time, expertise and resources.

Just my 2 cents
Old 10-07-2012, 08:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Agreed. Make your own stuff or pay for whats been designed.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:13 PM
JK Junkie

I didn't plan on making anything with any intention to rip anyone off or take away/insult anyone. I'm well aware again what goes into making it, I've been around my fathers company for many years. I will make my own again, as I said In my first post. Sorry for the question or "stepping on any toes"

Quick Reply: Question about certain manufacturer "specs" AKA - measurements