Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Question: Changing stock Rubicon tires to A/T's

Old 10-15-2012, 04:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question: Changing stock Rubicon tires to A/T's

Ok, my Rubi is my daily driver and I drive 500 miles a week. The stock M/T tires that come on the Rubicons are great, but since I lost my hunting lease this season, I have no use for such as aggressive tire. I'm averaging 20mpg, which is great, but I'm thinking I could get more miles per gallon and better handling by switching to a less aggressive tread. Would that be true? And would the mileage increase be enough to justify the cost of the new tires? I would think if I could get 2mpg better, it would justify the cost since I'm driving 500 miles per week. Of course I would save my stock tires for when I find another hunting lease.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't complain if ur averaging 20 mpg with rubi gears. I have a 2012 sport with the tsa's and best I get is 19-20 on a 30 mile highway commute to work. 23 is best I've gotten for a trip. Yeah cornering maybe a bit tighter, but I def would not ditch ur mt's unless its time for new ones.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

That's what I'm wondering....is it worth the trade. I'm not so much concerned with the handling as I am with the possible mileage increase. I love the stock tires, especially for being M/T's.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bfschor
That's what I'm wondering....is it worth the trade. I'm not so much concerned with the handling as I am with the possible mileage increase. I love the stock tires, especially for being M/T's.
That's what I'm saying, you're not going get much better than that, especially with 4.10's. I have 3.21s and best I on highway is 22.5. Best average combined has been 21, but usually it's 19 Ish. Really don't think ATs are going to make a Big difference for you, but I could be wrong. Certainly not going to make it a Prius!
Old 10-15-2012, 07:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Say you spend $1500 for all new tires...mounted, balanced, taxes and having yours removed and divide that by 24 months since that'll be your best mileage on those new tires, after that they'll be getting low if you drive that much per year, and they wont be much good for daily driver tires. That difference is $62/month and honestly you're not going to save that $/month in gas because you gained 2mpg.

Only way you're gonna save that kinda of $$ based on mpg is to drive a Honda or any other small car every day lol Your best option is to just run what you have till they are worn down and then grab an A/T tire after that. For what it's worth now, you wont gain your initial investment back on the new tires through your gain in gas mileage as it'll be so insignificant long term.

Just my opinion though I wouldn't do it, unless you want to go bigger, but that'd defeat the purpose altogether lol
Old 10-15-2012, 08:36 AM
JK Junkie

You could always trade someone your set for a new set of AT. MT are almost always in demand. If you've got the money now, I say go ahead and get the new set. AT typically last longer too on the highway. You'll save your mud tires for winter and hunting too.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by otservice
Say you spend $1500 for all new tires...mounted, balanced, taxes and having yours removed and divide that by 24 months since that'll be your best mileage on those new tires, after that they'll be getting low if you drive that much per year, and they wont be much good for daily driver tires. That difference is $62/month and honestly you're not going to save that $/month in gas because you gained 2mpg.

Only way you're gonna save that kinda of $$ based on mpg is to drive a Honda or any other small car every day lol Your best option is to just run what you have till they are worn down and then grab an A/T tire after that. For what it's worth now, you wont gain your initial investment back on the new tires through your gain in gas mileage as it'll be so insignificant long term.

Just my opinion though I wouldn't do it, unless you want to go bigger, but that'd defeat the purpose altogether lol
I think you're right, except I wouldn't be spending that much on new tires. I went to Discount Tire online and got a quote for just over $700 on some Nitto A/T's of comparable size, but that's w/o any warranty, so with warranty, it'd put me close $800 for tires alone. I wouldn't get rid of my M/T's cause I could use them for hunting.

If I'm not going to see a very noticeable mileage increase, then it's not worth doing.

Trending Topics

Old 10-15-2012, 09:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Stock SR-A tires are great for a DD. They show up here, barely used, from time to time. Even new they aren't that expensive compared to off-road tires. I saw 24mpg with mine a few times. They even work off-road long as there is no mud.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:25 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Freewill
Stock SR-A tires are great for a DD. They show up here, barely used, from time to time. Even new they aren't that expensive compared to off-road tires. I saw 24mpg with mine a few times. They even work off-road long as there is no mud.
True, they suck in mud. You could pick up a new set for $200 off CL. My SRA's did great for all my highway miles I put on last year.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:28 AM
JK Junkie

I switched to A/T's for a while and saw no improvement to MPG's, so I switched back.

Quick Reply: Question: Changing stock Rubicon tires to A/T's