Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Question for Manual drivers.

Old 05-03-2013, 03:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for Manual drivers.

Most of my cars since I have been driving have been manuals. I have a 2010 with 6 speed that I have owned for a few weeks now. Before I shut the stupid hill assist off I stalled a few times. It seems like once it starts stalling you can't recover. Today, for lack of paying attention, I almost again, pushed the clutch back in and "saved" it, kind of. The engine started shaking and was under powered. I had to shut it off and restart, but it was hesitant to shut down. Upon restart everything seems fine. Is it possible to stall only 1 or 2 cylinders? Why would it be hesitant to shut down? I know the simple solution is not stall it, so please spare the don't stall insults. I have made fun of myself enough about that already!
Old 05-04-2013, 12:33 PM
JK Newbie

I know what you're talking about. Once it starts to stall you're done. I think its something to do with the throttle being wire less. Causes confusion with sensors (computer) and kinda missfires and dies. Just something to live with. Or get better with shifting loo.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine has done the same and it is a very quirky thing . i know EXACTLY what u talkin about and i agree hill assist sux , disabled mine long ago too
Old 05-04-2013, 01:00 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks, I wanted to make sure it was nothing I had to worry about. Haave had numerous standards and have never experienced that before.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:09 PM
JK Freak

Yes same issue with me, once it starts to die very rarely do i manage to save it. It actually not really the best thing for your motor to save it, typically you want to restart it if you can. With it being a electronic engine, it can mess with the sensors and fool it into doing weird things. But for the most part it will recover, just fine. How ever if it doesn't recover right, shut it off ASAP and restart. I removed hill assist the first day i got my jeep it's a stupid system, good idea but not practical, I also turned off my esp. So it is always off. The othering you can do to make shifting a little easier is to replace your manual trans fluid with something better quality like royal purple with sincro row mesh or ams oil. I would go with ams oil it's what I run.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:35 PM
JK Freak

The sprint booster eliminated that issue for me... and its just way more responsive especially with the 6 speed.

Last edited by JKRescue08; 05-04-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:51 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I've had the same experience. I don't hate the hill assist but have had to adapt my style. I rev the RPMs slightly and don't let out the clutch for 2 seconds, trying to time the clutch release with the hill assist brake release. I wish the amount of time the brakes hold would be cut in half.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:28 AM
JK Newbie

Leaving my driveway is a fairly steep hill onto a state road w/50 MPH speed limit (everyone drive 60), where I can't see to far down the road. That combined with the HSA almost equalled an nasty accident the first day with the jeep. The 3 second delay almost coat me my jeep and my life!
Old 05-06-2013, 06:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know what you are talking about -- The motor does indeed only run on say 3 cylinders when it's chugging and bucking. When it's at that point, sometimes it does seem best just to kill it and shorten the embarrassment. However I think my '07 does a good job at recovering from any close stalls..??
Old 05-06-2013, 06:09 AM
JK Newbie

Say I pull off the clutch and don't give it enough gas, like it should it starts to stall. The jeep starts to shake when it is about to stall, I don't know if it shakes for y'all but when this happens I try to prevent stalling at all cost. I throw the clutch back in and put the gas in and typically it recovers for me. I'm pretty indifferent about the hill start assist.

Quick Reply: Question for Manual drivers.