Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Question re: metal jerry cans

Old 05-01-2013, 07:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Question re: metal jerry cans

I recently got a Rock Hard 4x4 jerry can mount and a metal Blitz can for my jeep. For those of you who have the same type jerry cans, do you keep fuel in them all the time, year round on the jeep, or do you only fill it when you need the extra fuel? I'm just wondering if it's best to keep them full year round to avoid rust and expansion/contraction issues or is it okay to use it on a need-be basis? What would you recommend?

Here's my set-up...

Old 05-01-2013, 08:02 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put stabilizer in them and use them for mowers etc, then refill for a trip.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:27 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I temporarily put mine in my gas tank when i don't feel like driving to the gas station. I cycle the gas through monthly.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Delux2769
I temporarily put mine in my gas tank when i don't feel like driving to the gas station. I cycle the gas through monthly.
LOL. That's funny.

So other than when you use the fuel...temporarily, LOL, you ride with full jerry cans on the back of the jeep all the time?

Last edited by Runewolf1973; 05-01-2013 at 09:31 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:34 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I run an OR-FAB carrier with dual Jerry cans. I only keep the cans on my rig when headed out on a long trip or when I will be in the woods for awhile.

I really don't need the extra weight back there for day to day driving. At 6.1 lbs per gallon plus the weight of the metal cans at 9 lbs each that is an extra 80 lbs hanging out back there.

I would say if you keep them full then you need to cycle the fuel or use a product like Stabil to keep the fuel from going bad.

Quick Reply: Question re: metal jerry cans