Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Question for those with a 6spd Rubicon that wheel?

Old 11-07-2007, 09:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for those with a 6spd Rubicon that wheel?

In all of my excitement I never thought to check how easy it was, or even if it is possible to heal/toe the 6speed. And if not possible, just how much if any throttle input is needed in 4LO to get rolling again up a steep incline where you might have encountered wheel hop forcing you to come to a stop, and start again...

I ordered a 6spd on Monday but I just want to make sure it is worth the wait; Auto Rubicons on dealer lots are a dime a dozen around here, so I could have one today; but I really desire a 6spd...

I know there will always be the great debate as to what is the better off road trans auto/man, but I would rather not start another one of those with this question...

Thanks...
Old 11-07-2007, 10:37 AM
JK Newbie

with a crawl ratio of aroun 75:1 you are never going to need to use the gas to get started up a hill in 4lo no matter how steep it is. that's part of the reason for the clutch kill switch not working in 4lo (meaning you can start your car with the clutch out and just let the starter help get you over the rock)
Old 11-07-2007, 10:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

When you are in 4Lo the torque is absolutely crazy. Even with 35 inch tires I can start on a steep hill and I don't give it any throttle at all.

The first time I climbed a steep hill I was in 4Hi and didn't get enough momentum before starting. I had to stop halfway up the hill, threw it in 4Lo and proceeded to crawl up without using any pedal. I've since done the same hill starting from a dead stop and in second gear. Most trucks I've watched go up the hill have to get a good run-up and they are spinning their tires to make it to the top.

Edit: Doh! Joetter beat me to the post and the comment about the clutch bypass feature

I do agree, being able to start the Jeep without using the clutch makes it really easy to get rolling again on a hill.

Beel

Last edited by Beel_MT; 11-07-2007 at 10:54 AM.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well, I've definitely done it. You can spin a stock rubi's tires in 4-lo, 1st gear, going up a hill. It was on a rock slide in a quarry. Rocks the size of your fist, but like driving on marbles. It was nasty enough the engine was bogging down and dying if I tried to "no-clutch" start it. I got going again with a combo of left foot on clutch, right foot on gas, and right hand on e-brake. Also, I had a measure of safety in that when I got stopped, the tires had built up a little wall of rock behind themselves, so I really didn't need the e-brake much if at all.

So it can be done. If you try hard enough.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:13 PM
JK Freak

Well, thanks for the replies... I guess it would be rare to ever have to worry about it...

Quick Reply: Question for those with a 6spd Rubicon that wheel?