Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

questions from a first time Jeep enthusiast

Old 10-10-2011, 09:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by notsoricer
hey im in the same boat as you.. but heres a little of my opinion. i just got back from the dealership and test drove the 2012 with the 3.73 after driving the 3.21 this weekend. i gotta say the 3.21 is very similar to the 3.8l engine and didnt impress me much until after 2k rpm but even then im sure with a computer chip upgrade you can get a 2010 jeep to keep up. so if you got a 2012 make sure to get the 3.73 esp because you want bigger tires and such. i've been asking these guys questions about the axles and they really know their stuff on this forum. im going with the 2012 not only because of the engine and such, but its more realistic in a sense of economical reason. i'm sure if i want to upgrade it in 3-4 yrs i can get my moneys worth due to high resale value, the gas is "better", tread lightly is helping me out, etc.. what kind of cars are you used to driving, what are you giving up?
hmmmm interesting.... I have to agree with you as I have test driven both the 2011 and the 2012 and haven't found too much of a difference. That being said, (and as everyone is now rolling their eyes at me) I tested both of them with a dealer and only at low speeds and very briefly. I will be testing both again later this week and putting them to a few more driving tests. I'm giving up my 2008 VW city golf so I think any JK is going to be amazing, and any JK will be devastating to my bank account when it comes time to fuel up. There is a slightly better MPG rating with the new 2012, but I think in the long run it is exactly that. Slight. As for the 202 hp bump to 290, that is where the winning numbers lie. But again, I could put a chip in a 2010 as you said and "voila", I'm up to about 265-270. As for the Axles, I couldn't agree more.
Cheers and thanks for your help.

Quick Reply: questions from a first time Jeep enthusiast