Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

A Quick Take on Why the Two-Door JK Reigns Supreme

Old 08-30-2016, 09:38 AM
JK-Forum Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Quick Take on Why the Two-Door JK Reigns Supreme

Over the past few years, I have found myself engaging in the debate over which is better -- the Wrangler Unlimited or the more traditional two-door model.

Read the rest on the JK Forum homepage. >>
Old 08-30-2016, 10:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nostalgic value? Who could argue the 2 door isn't it? It definitely still holds to the original pretty well. It does better in tight canyons. The 2 door has great break over at the top of a sharp climb.

I am the owner of a 4 door and like the room and stability. It was a tough choice when I wanted to buy a new Jeep. I am very happy with my 4 door.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P5040038.JPG
Views:	446
Size:	2.52 MB
ID:	655695Click image for larger version

Name:	P5040068.JPG
Views:	424
Size:	2.98 MB
ID:	655696Click image for larger version

Name:	P5050172.JPG
Views:	420
Size:	2.38 MB
ID:	655697

Last edited by RedSyndrome; 08-30-2016 at 10:31 AM.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:24 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Neither is better they both have their pluses and minuses. Why don't we start a Blonds are better than Brunettes thread. That debate has been going on longer in bars than the epic 2dr vs 4dr Jeep debate.

Last edited by Jonathan_JK; 08-30-2016 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Someone Say Bar?

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
Neither is better they both have their pluses and minuses. Why don't we start a Blonds are better than Brunettes thread. That debate has been going on longer in bars than the epic 2dr vs 4dr Jeep debate.
Wait. We are in a bar?? HAHA.

I'm going to have to agree that the 2 vs 4 isn't a debate worth having. I view it instead as more of a selection of personal preference and is usually a decision that is hotly and fiercely defended!

I have a two door. I bought it intentionally over the 4 door. I also have a wife, two kids, and a golden retriever. I would not trade my two door. For any other car. I love it deeply. I wanted it for the long term and I wanted it to be the two door with manual. With that said I cannot fit my entire family and a weekend of gear in the Jeep which is a big disappointment. It is a problem I knew I would have when I got it (even though I only had one kiddo then) and I wanted the two door anyway. So, I got a roof rack and now I can carry gear and my wife and two kids along on trips. Which is awesome!!! But not if you ask my Golden. The look in his eyes as we shut the door behind us for a weekend of playing will tell you he doesn't approve of my purchasing decision. All this means boils down to the fact that both rigs are extremely capable. They do have their pros and cons on the trail, but they are likely equal, where one stumbles the other doesn't. I have seen two doors have a problem with an obstacle that a 4 door doesn't and I've seen it the other way around too. So, it really comes down to a matter of space. Here the debate ends because as a matter of scientific evidence the 4 door is actually larger and thus has more room. So, if you struggle to fit into a two door like I do then the 4 door is the obvious choice and you can make the decision knowing full well that your Jeep will do everything my two door does and load easier.

Last piece is looks, which is personal preference. I believe that the two door looks more balanced with top and doors off. I believe however that decked out with a lift and larger tires the 4 door looks better. I am hoping that one day many years from now the two doors are a classic Jeep in the same way that the CJ is now. Time will tell. By then however we won't be driving our cars anymore......
Old 08-30-2016, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

The 4dr outsells the 2dr by double.....how again does it reign supreme? It's tough finding parts for our 2dr's, where's the bonus there?
Old 08-30-2016, 01:49 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
The 4dr outsells the 2dr by double...
You know why that is, right?
Old 08-30-2016, 03:15 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Machoo
.... I have seen two doors have a problem with an obstacle that a 4 door doesn't ...
I remember that. Hehehehehehehehe.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
The 4dr outsells the 2dr by double.....how again does it reign supreme? It's tough finding parts for our 2dr's, where's the bonus there?
Tough finding parts for the 2 door? On what planet?

But srsly tho 2 door is obviously better because thats what i own : )
Old 08-30-2016, 07:39 PM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I remember that. Hehehehehehehehe.
Haha!!!
Old 08-31-2016, 05:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can talk about storage, rock climbing, whatever. I still don't think the JKU looks right. Soft tops look funny. Sunrider open looks like it's broken. Doorless looks funny. And the perma-hardtop just makes me mad. I do not like them Sam I am.