Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Rain! Help drying?

Old 11-15-2007, 01:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Rain! Help drying?

So, got caught topless for my first rain. Hadn't seen one forecast calling for any rain whatsoever. Next thing I know, I turn around in my office and see the dreaded coating on my window.

By the time I get out to the jeep, the rain's over and my baby is soaked.

Anyone found any particularly successful drying techniques. I'm guessing removing the plugs won't help as there isn't any standing water. Just a thorough soaking.

Thanks.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine got soaked on an otherwise clear day. It was VERY wet. The sun came out and I drove it home topless, and left it that way till the next day, dried it right out....no smell either...
Good luck!
Old 11-15-2007, 01:39 PM
JK Jedi Master

Park it in the sunshine. Take out the carpet pieces and lay them out in the sun too.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

carpets hold a lottttttttttt of water, i say take em out and leave em out, it make less work of trying to get at all 12 drain plugs (2 door)
Old 11-16-2007, 06:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Keep drivin around with it topless! That is the way I have to dry mine out, or with the windows down as much as you can! My Jeep gets wet inside all the time! (the biggest joy of living in Oregon-unexpected rain!)

Carpet out is great too!

Garage it up in a heated garage??

Hair dryer???
Old 11-17-2007, 04:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Happened to me when we had the top off and was running the bikini. had a downpour with gusting winds for about 2 solid hours. Ours ended up with about 2" standing throughout.
Start with a good wet/dry vac. vac out as much as you can. Remove carpets, pull plugs and re-vac the pans. Pull the carpet away from the sides and vac under there. With carpets removed, vac both sides. Once the carpets are dry take inside the house, and let sit overnight. Back out in the jeep, and revac the pans then lay down old towels to soak up anything left. Hit the sides again. once all dry, spary some Fabree. back inside to the carpets. Spray with Fabree, and vac again. Once they are completly dry, again spray with Fabree.
Once the interier is completly dry, re-install the carpets.
Don't forget the rear compartment. remove the tire cover and pull back the carpet. Get all the water out of the carpeted storage space and the space where the jack is kept.
Once everything is back in spray Fabree. And don't forget the plugs.
Smell the carpet in a few days to ensure there is no damp or moldy scent.

I had the windows down in my XJ one day when it rained. the carpets were soaked. I wet-vac'd then put towels down to absorb what moisture was left. the next day I pulled out the towels. After about 3 day, the interier smelled musty. Found out about 2 years later the underside of the carpets in some spots had rotted.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default drain plugs???

Where are they and how many does a 4 door have?
Old 11-17-2007, 06:24 AM
JK Newbie

Default First thing first

Pull the drain plug out from the Jack well, just pull out the jack and you should see the grey plastic oval. Then pull the back carpet and pop the drain plug in the hidden compartment. Those two places hold the most water. Shake out the carpet 'cause the water will just run off. I have a two door so I can't help you on location, but once you know what they look like just start looking under the seats and the carpet and you'll find them. Don't worry, just put a garbage bag over your seat and keep driving. The jeep will take care of itself. It is scary at first, but trust me you'll get used to it.

Cheers
Old 11-17-2007, 08:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

After my bikini top dropped a variable swimming pool of rainwater inside my Jeep, I used a wet/dry vac for the heavy spots, opened all the drains, and it was dry within a day.

Quick Reply: Rain! Help drying?