Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Rave about soft top..

Old 11-27-2007, 04:38 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rave about soft top..

so I put on my soft top for the first time today..

My freedom top leaked.. the first thing I did was put a garden hose on the roof and let it sit there for about 15 minutes.. no leak, then I moved it rearward and let it sit there for another 15 minutes, no leaks.

then I just blasted it everywhere, all the seams and seals and everything, no leaks..

Then for the final test I took it on the highway and its surprisingly quiet, no whistling and barely any buffeting.. Its as quiet as an '02 Mustang convertible I also have.

Very impressed with it and hopefully it wont leak with any wind driven/while driving rain..

Just wanted a nice positive post on here about the soft top since all I seem to read about them are bad posts.

Anyone want to buy a leaking freedom top??? J/K.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:49 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i love my soft top.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:53 PM
JK Junkie

ahhh, but here's the kicker... half of us can hose the damn thing down until the cows come home.... but it'll only leak during a rain
Old 11-27-2007, 09:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Freedom top leaks? doh. Maybe I should get a soft top and buy the best top later...
Old 11-28-2007, 04:49 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wayland1985
ahhh, but here's the kicker... half of us can hose the damn thing down until the cows come home.... but it'll only leak during a rain

Bingo.

But only occasionally, not in every rain.
60+mph winds last night and poured like hell. no leaks.
barely rained a couple days ago, more of a heavy fog than anything else, leaked like crazy.
and vice versa all last summer.

makes no sense.

Edit: Dont read me wrong, i love the soft top and i am glad i didnt get the hardtop.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:52 AM
JK Super Freak

my soft top has been doing me great. i didn't find out it leaked till 8 months after i brought it and was caught in one heck of a rain storm. one of those rains that makes everyone just stop and pull off the road because you cant see 20 feet ahead of you since its raining so hard. then it leaked. didnt think much of it till the dealer said it had a recall/TSB about it and they'd fix it while they had it for some other stuff.

i don't get why it only leaks some times... i've power washed my jeep and it didnt leak... what gives... oh well... the dealer replaced the seals on the front doors and the top of the window... i'm still happy with the soft top.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

I myself have the dual top as well, and love the soft top. If I had to buy another Jeep, or when I trade in, I will only get the soft top. My hard top leaks more than the soft top ever did, and now that it's winter, I'm honestly not noticing much benefit in terms of heat retention/drafts either. The only thing I would miss about a hard top, is having a lift gate rear window in the winter, and a rear defroster. Just gets really hard to keep zipping open the back for the dogs to get in and out when it's about 5 degrees.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have any problem with soft top either. It's been back to cold rainy season for a while but no leaking problem. I'm very happy with it.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:36 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by mikeyfl
i love my soft top.
x2! The soft top rocks!!

Quick Reply: Rave about soft top..