Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Really want a '12 Wranger UL Sahara

Old 01-25-2012, 02:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Really want a '12 Wranger UL Sahara

Hi,

First of all, Hello to all JK UL owners!

I hope that by registering for this forum, you can provide with insight, advice and suggestions as I start to head down the path of purchasing a new Jeep.

My local dealer, has quoted me $35,000 for a Black '12 UL Sahara. No leather, but it has the NAV package. Everything else is stock.

My trade in value will be around $6000. At my credit union, I currently owe 3 more payments of $252.00/month at an interest rate of 6.0%. This is not a lease.

The dealer will give me the same interest rate of 6.0%, but my monthly payments on a 72 month loan with be close to $550. Not including gas, taxes, title, and license. They said that the trade in value of my car should cover the taxes, title and license. What have your past experiences been?

What do you think of this deal? Should I go with the credit union, or the dealer? Do I need to put money down on the $35k loan?

Thanks for your help! And please let me know if you have any questions, something isn't right or confusing!

-SpiderDice
Old 01-25-2012, 02:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

6% seems high even for a fixed rate.

My local dealer offers 3% variable up to 84 months, or 4.99% fixed at up to 96 months. Buyer's choice.

This is in Ontario. Not sure what the differences are based on location.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow... where to start...

first off don't buy from that dealer just yet... slow down and break everything up.

There has to be some other options for the JKU... $35k for a Sahara with no options but Nav is a horrible price, like $2000 over MSRP. Get the VIN number for that Jeep and we can look up the options for you and know if its a good price. I doubt its really base as the base Sahara is a standard transmission and a non-color matching hard top. If it has an automatic and painted hardtop then it has some other options besides nav.

If you join tread lightly you can buy your jeep for 1% under invoice. So take the VIN and look up the options (google jeep window sticker by vin) then go to edmunds.com and build the Jeep and figure out what invoice is and then you can make sure you are getting that price.

If you post the dealership you are talking to I can probably find the wrangler you are looking at on their online inventory and tell you what you should be paying.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hypeiv
Wow... where to start...

first off don't buy from that dealer just yet... slow down and break everything up.

There has to be some other options for the JKU... $35k for a Sahara with no options but Nav is a horrible price, like $2000 over MSRP. Get the VIN number for that Jeep and we can look up the options for you and know if its a good price. I doubt its really base as the base Sahara is a standard transmission and a non-color matching hard top. If it has an automatic and painted hardtop then it has some other options besides nav.

If you join tread lightly you can buy your jeep for 1% under invoice. So take the VIN and look up the options (google jeep window sticker by vin) then go to edmunds.com and build the Jeep and figure out what invoice is and then you can make sure you are getting that price.

If you post the dealership you are talking to I can probably find the wrangler you are looking at on their online inventory and tell you what you should be paying.
This is good advice. Slow down! The deal you where offered kinds sucks. I got a fully loaded up JKU Sahara except no nav (better to go aftermarket). For 32K! Or about 12% off MSRP Sticker price.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Some fine print on the tread lighty discount: you have to be a member 30 days first. My dealer just called me out on that.

Very minor, but it's there. That will slow you down like said above though!
Old 01-25-2012, 05:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TL sounds like a great program to be a member of, but quite frankly the 1% below invoice is not in by itself that great. I would not use that as a barometer of a good deal. 3% or more below invoice is a better target. FWIW some including myself have gotten 6% or more off invoice with no Military or TL

Last edited by Lotus F1; 01-25-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:18 PM
JK Newbie

You don't have to be a TL member for 30 days. I bought membership and used the code (google tread lightly affiliate code to find a PDF with the code in it then head over to the chrysler affiliate reward site). Same day process! You can find similar pricing from the USAA buying program (no military service required), truecar.com, Costco, etc. Find the best deal you can. I got a FULLY loaded '12 JKU Sahara for $36.5 including leather, nav, towing, airbags, remote start, color match, dual top, etc.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:26 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just paid $36,180 for a Rubicon that listed for $40,120 and got 2 years worth of oil changes, free towing and rental car with 2.49% financing for 5 years.

You need to perform the research like others recommended and go back with your best offer!! They can take it or leave it... there are plenty of Jeeps out there.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lotus F1
TL sounds like a great program to be a member of, but quite frankly the 1% below invoice is not in by itself that great. I would not use that as a barometer of a good deal. 3% or more below invoice is a better target. FWIW some including myself have gotten 6% or more off invoice with no Military or TL
I agree I got better than 1% off... I am saying 1% over invoice is the MAX you should pay for a new wrangler
Old 01-25-2012, 07:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mycoke
You don't have to be a TL member for 30 days...
Didn't think of this. Thank you.

Quick Reply: Really want a '12 Wranger UL Sahara