Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Rear ended

Old 03-26-2015, 02:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear ended

Sitting at a stop light this afternoon when a car rammed me. She hit the spare tire and that pushed her hood back almost to her windshield and it broke her grille. The rest of her front end went under the bumper breaking her bumper. I have XHD bumpers and it just scraped some paint off. When she hit the tire it pulled the top of the tire carrier out about 1/8 inch and put a dimple in the bottom of the tailgate. Guessing when the body shop looks at it they'll recommend replacing it. She was driving a Chrysler 200.

She told the officer she was stopped behind me and noticed the traffic in the turn lane moving so she started driving. She then told him she was distracted and didn't see me because she was reading her phone. He said her car had a lot of damage if she really was stopped before hitting me. He ended up giving her a ticket.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20150326_170344.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	603367
Old 03-26-2015, 11:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You made out much better than I did..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0149.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	603446   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0154.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	603447  
Old 03-27-2015, 02:06 AM
Former Member

That's her story and she's sticking to it???

That much damage???

If I was that cop hearing that I'd be

But hey she did admit to distracted driving using the phone. I hope she hasn't already bred
Old 03-27-2015, 06:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Bummer :( Do you think it might have bent the rear frame rails or bumper extensions at all? Usually when a bumper doesn't give, something else does. Hopefully the shop will measure it up when it's in for work.

More importantly...are YOU okay? Sore yet?
Old 03-27-2015, 08:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow. That thing must do 0-80 in 3 ft. At least you're ok.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have on the XHD steel bumpers. They have a sloping bottom so the bottom of her car slid under and the spare tire took the top part of the impact. I'm going to have the shop check the frame but a quick look on the hoist at a repair shop didn't show anything noticeable. Since the stock tire carrier seems a little deformed (sticks out maybe 1/8" at the top) and it is carrying a much bigger tire than stock I want to get that fixed.

I feel fine. My head did hit the headrest but it seems most of the energy went into her car.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Lowendrider - if I had the stock bumpers on I'm guessing I would of had more damage. The design and strength of the steel bumpers helped.

Her car wasn't quite that damaged but I'm not sure if she was able to drive away.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mikekeeper
Lowendrider - if I had the stock bumpers on I'm guessing I would of had more damage. The design and strength of the steel bumpers helped.

Her car wasn't quite that damaged but I'm not sure if she was able to drive away.

No doubt, the stock bumper offers little to no protection. I got an aftermarket rear bumper out of the deal, 3/16 steel!

Quick Reply: Rear ended