Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Removing Hard Top

Old 07-10-2013, 05:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Hard Top

Did anyone ever notice that Harbor Freight has an electric hoist with remote that could easily be used to take a hard top off a Jeep. Looks like all you need is a couple of straps and its working. Anybody go this route or what do you use. Thx
Old 07-10-2013, 05:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Search is your friend. Been covered a thousand times.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Luber is right it has been covered a thousand times but that doesn't mean we can discuss it here. I went as cheap as humanly possible I put 4 bicycle hooks in my ceiling and I attached some ratchet straps to my hardtop. It works awesome I just have to open the back window, ratchet the hardtop up a couple inches and drive out.

There is a photo floating around with a guy who must have custom built his garage with a recessed opening in the ceiling for his hardtop, that is the ultimate if you ask me.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

When I put my hard top hoist up, I thought about getting one of those electric motors. However, I went with the hand crank instead. Mostly because I was being a cheap ass and also didn't feel like running any electrical. I'm glad I went with the hand crank. As cool as it seems to have the electric motor, I'm starting to think the hand crank is more practical. The reason I say this is when I start to raise the top off, sometimes I'm not exactly centered under the hoist, so the top will swing some when it's lifted off the JK. So I could see where the hand crank could be beneficial because you have total control of how high and how fast you are lifting it. A push button on a motor you can't control how fast and exactly how far it will lift when pushing the button. Which increases the chance of the roof swinging a lot more and possibly damaging something when/if it does. The same thing when setting it back down...more fine control adjustment with the hand crank in my opinion.

It's not like lifting the top is heavy either using the hand crank. So I don't really see the need for getting the electric motor.

Last edited by Rednroll; 07-11-2013 at 06:36 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

I considered all the different options, including the electric hoist. Finally decided to go with the Harken #7803 Hoist. It's inexpensive, made of quality components, works great and, with the 6:1 mechanical advantage, is easy to operate. I have a 2 point Harken for my kayak and that's what convinced me to stay with a proven concept.

Quick Reply: Removing Hard Top