Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Removing Soft Top

Old 04-20-2014, 01:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Soft Top

hello everyone! Can anyone help and explain how to remove the soft top. I want to make sure before I attempt.

How hard is it to install back on?

thanks
Old 04-20-2014, 01:51 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Easiest would be to check out YouTube, there are plenty of videos out there. It's not very difficult.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:04 PM
JK Freak

I did, the only videos I found is how to fold it down. I'm talking about taking it off the jeep
Old 04-20-2014, 02:57 PM
JK Newbie

I don't know if it is the same for a 4 door. With my two door, I open the rear door, remove the side and rear windows, fold the top down all the way, wrap a couple of bungees around the folded top, then remove the 4 torx screws from the arms. Easy enough for one person to lift it off from the back. Even easier with two people. I put a couple small bungees around the folded top to make it easier to carry when I'm by my self. I have a couple of cheap ladder brackets from Home Depot mounted on the garage wall to hang it for storage.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ed243
I don't know if it is the same for a 4 door. With my two door, I open the rear door, remove the side and rear windows, fold the top down all the way, wrap a couple of bungees around the folded top, then remove the 4 torx screws from the arms. Easy enough for one person to lift it off from the back. Even easier with two people. I put a couple small bungees around the folded top to make it easier to carry when I'm by my self. I have a couple of cheap ladder brackets from Home Depot mounted on the garage wall to hang it for storage.

Yes I agree that is the way to do it and is simple. Question for you or anyone. I have a 2014 2dr and want to install another soft top that is not the new premium material to match my new half door uppers. ( My 2014 came with the new premium softer top material but the half door I ordered for Summer came with the diamond material on the uppers) If I order a new Mopar soft top and remove the old one via the 4 torx screws as above will the hardware above the doors be the same. I ask this because my 2008 top attached differently to the hardware above the doors with a plastic channel that had to be clipped in while the 2014 new top just sits on top of the hardware above the door.
I know this might be confusing but any help would be appreciated since the dealer already messed this up once when ordering the half doors.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by michaelt
Yes I agree that is the way to do it and is simple. Question for you or anyone. I have a 2014 2dr and want to install another soft top that is not the new premium material to match my new half door uppers. ( My 2014 came with the new premium softer top material but the half door I ordered for Summer came with the diamond material on the uppers) If I order a new Mopar soft top and remove the old one via the 4 torx screws as above will the hardware above the doors be the same. I ask this because my 2008 top attached differently to the hardware above the doors with a plastic channel that had to be clipped in while the 2014 new top just sits on top of the hardware above the door.
I know this might be confusing but any help would be appreciated since the dealer already messed this up once when ordering the half doors.
My buddy just got a 2014 with dual tops and the premium soft top as well. From what I can see the door surrounds are the same as mine which is a 2012, it was only the actual top that is different. Everywhere seems to advertise as well jk door surrounds from years 2011 + will fit premium so I think you are safe.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:00 AM
JK Newbie

Default Soft Top Removal

Hi Guys-
What size Torx is needed? Anyone know off the top of thier head?
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Removing Soft Top