Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Ride quality

Old 11-13-2007, 07:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ride quality

I've read other posts about the JK ride, but I'd like to hear from some wheelers with children. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a 4dr JK, but am I going to be able to drive around my 2 month old in this thing? I don't think I would put him in my TJ if I still had it. I'm not talking about taking him out on the trails yet; but on the street, will a small child get a safe ride.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:16 AM
JK Super Freak

I think the JK Unlimited is very safe for children, and the ride quality is outstanding. Our other vehicle is a Lexus IS250, and we prefer to take the Jeep on longer trips because it's much more comfortable and provides a smoother ride (the Lexus has factory 18's and low profile tires).
Old 11-13-2007, 07:18 AM
JK Newbie

I've only test driven the JK so far, but both the 2-door and 4-door that I drove rode very well on the road - similar to the Land Rover Discovery that I used to own. Road noise is not nearly what I was expecting - much quieter.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

We have a kid on the way in March and talked about trading the 2door JK for a Unlimited and even other vehicles and stuck with the Jeep.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Helpfull

Originally Posted by jckid
I think the JK Unlimited is very safe for children, and the ride quality is outstanding. Our other vehicle is a Lexus IS250, and we prefer to take the Jeep on longer trips because it's much more comfortable and provides a smoother ride (the Lexus has factory 18's and low profile tires).
Thanks... I don't have to talk the wife into getting a JK (she likes going topless, God love her), just about WHEN we'll get one. I'm pushing for 3 months ago.... Thinking maybe I'll just have to take her for a test drive and let her see for herself.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:24 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out some of the accidents JK owners have had on this site. The JK holds up very well. I plan on putting my daughter in the back of mine as soon as she gets old enough to have a forward facing seat. (There's not enough room in the two door for her mammoth sized rear facing car seat.)
Old 11-13-2007, 08:31 AM
JK Newbie

Realize that the "Unlimited" version is all I know, but it has a 5-Star crash rating! MUCH better than my old YJ (1-star for driver).

You will have NO problems with the ride quality. The 'X' package might have a softer ride as the Sahara and Rubi's have stronger shocks and stiffer springs. It is Soooo much of a change from the old leaf spring setups that you will love it!
Old 11-13-2007, 09:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

the ride is suprisingly great (even better than the '04 Honda Element I traded in)!
Old 11-13-2007, 09:37 AM
JK Freak

This is by no means a complaint, I fully expect it with a Wrangler, but my stock 2-door JK X with the tow package (stiffer springs) rides pretty bouncy. I could see long road trips getting a little uncomfortable. I routinely make 3 hour trips and its not exactly a smooth ride. I think that the 4 door would ride much nicer, especially with less stiff springs. Again, this is not a complaint or a dislike about my Jeep. I don't mind the way it rides.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:56 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was an article in a magazine that compared the rides of the JK's a little while back. The X is said to be very smooth and nice on the road. The Sahara and Rubicon are said to be a little rougher.

I've driven trucks my entire life, and my 2door (different ride, I'm sure, since it's lighter) is probably the second nicest ride I've had, next to a full size Silverado.

If you can find some JK's, take them for a test ride. In my opinion, you'll be fine. Little Junior should be able to join you on little errands without any head trauma...

(the summer is a different story though... once that top comes off, you better find some solution to keep the sun from burning your baby!!!)

Quick Reply: Ride quality