Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Rock Hard 4x4 Bumper Rusting?

Old 04-09-2013, 08:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rock Hard 4x4 Bumper Rusting?

So I ordered the Rock Hard 4x4 Bumper for my JK at the beginning of March.
I installed it on the Jeep 3/22/13.

Here is some photo's of it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0107.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	444719Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0101.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	444720

Yesterday I noticed that the welds have started rusting already.
It has only been on the jeep 3 weeks... I am kind of upset about this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bottom DS.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	444721Click image for larger version

Name:	Top DS.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	444722Click image for larger version

Name:	Top PS.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	444723

There is also some rust starting on the welds where the KC Lights attach..
I emailed the company and I am waiting to hear back from them.. I am not really sure what I am expecting to hear, but I am upset that the powder coating they used did not last through 1 minor snow fall, 1 rain fall, and 1 car wash.

I am considering buying this stuff called POR-15 (Paint Over Rust) and trying to stop it where it stands.

What do you guys think?

I will also let you know how it goes with Customer Support at Rock Hard.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is nothing new, as a lot of aftermarket bumpers rust at the seems/welds. They rarely get proper coverage and companies are using thinner coats these days to save money. Best way is to just sand it down your self and paint it. It'll take 30min to do and you're done and you know it wont rust vs taking days on end dealing with a company over a small detail. At the end of the day it doesn't matter if you spent $200 or $2000 on a bumper, they are all metal and if scratched or not covered properly they'll rust. Your not the first person here with a rusty bumper and wont be the last lol

Last edited by otservice; 04-09-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:18 AM
JK Newbie

Hope the por-15 works out. I have a rugged ridge stubby tube bumper that is rusting heavily from the inside. When it's wet it blows back on the jeep bad when I'm driving. Looks awful! Not sure what to do, thought about spraying expanding foam in there. Ha!
Old 04-09-2013, 08:40 AM
JK Newbie

Nicarus,

If that was my situation I would find a black piece of rubber and cut it to fit snug in the hole (about 1 or 2 inches deep_ then get some 3M Window Weld Spray it in the hole over fill it and scrape off the excess then put some tape over the hole.
Let the window weld dry 24ish hours and pull the tape off.
You should have a water tight end cap for the tubes.. This should prevent further rusting and possibly add a nicer appeal to it.
Just a thought anyways.

The rubber your putting in the hole could even be a piece of wood. Your just looking to put something in there so when you spray the window weld in it can't go behind it and it will form a tight seal.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:13 PM
JK Newbie

UPDATE:

I talked with James Barth from RH4X4 and it went well.
I did some talking with other Jeep Owners today and as otservice said above rust happens.
So I am not really heated about it, just a bit upset it happened with in 3 weeks.

James told me that there are areas they have a hard time powder coating and they do their best to make sure it get covered.
Long story short: I told him about my plans with the POR-15 and he told me if I email him the receipt that the company would reimburse me for the paint.
So I am pretty happy with that.

Also on another good note for Rock Hard 4X4: James replied to me same day both email inquires and answered his phone when I called. So customer support is awesome.

Quick Reply: Rock Hard 4x4 Bumper Rusting?