Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Rolled My JK and need guidance on next steps...

Old 02-13-2015, 09:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rolled My JK and need guidance on next steps...

I need some help fellow JK'ers. About five months ago I rolled my jeep doing something stupid. I was told by numerous people when it happened that there was a high probability of my insurance company totalling it out. At the time the idea of totalling it out was way too much for me to handle because I had invested a good chunck of cash on exhaust, intake, bumper, fenders, tops... all of which was not covered by my policy.. Plus it was a 2013 Rubicon with less than 8k miles on it. I feel like i've been experiencing depression since it happened and still breaks my heart thinking about that day.

I decided to goto a fund raiser event at an offroad park and long story short, I didn't have a spotter and I went into an area that had seen other jeep rolls that day. I started going up a hill and before I knew it I was rolling to the right. The jeep went over and it felt like it fell a good 8-10 feet on to its top. Thankfully I was wearing my seatbelt... The engine was still running and was shut off immediately. The other jeepers came over and rolled me back over with in what seemed like 5 minutes. The jeep started back up and I drove it back home (50+ miles) after getting the broken windshield and windsheild frame removed. I did not have my doors or hard top on when it rolled.

Fast forward to today, my jeep has been sitting in my garage in the current shape as seen in this imgur album.

I guess i'm starting to wonder if its worth trying to fix over getting the insurance company involved. I have a cash limit of a few thousand I can spend on fixing it.. if its going to go above that than I think i'll have to suck it up and contact the insurance company after I take some parts off and replace them with the OEM stuff (I still have the original air intake, exhaust.. and maybe I can tell them the front bumper was damaged).

Has anyone else been thru this type of situation and went with repairing it? How did it turn out?

So going with the idea of repairing it... I need to get the passenger side quarter panel fixed, as it is right now there is a gap in the door frame when the door is on. I've talked to local body shops and was quoted $400 dollars for a quick but not perfect job of pulling it out or $1200 to have outer skin replaced. I am considering going with the quick but not perfect repair and throwing on the poison spyder crusher corners to hide the rest of the body damage. What I am unsure about is the roll cage. I've been told the only real way to know if its not damaged any further is to purchase the windshield frame and I think they are called header bars (The bar that connects the roll cage with the windshield frame)? I am also having some difficulties finding the windshield frame with the trim pieces, i've been told its sold as a unit but can't find it online any where. It looks like I can find used JK hoods for around 100 dollars on craigslist.. I have no idea what I am going to do about the interior trim damage though...

I guess more than anything I just need some guidance...

Thanks in advance =)
Old 02-13-2015, 09:31 PM
JK Super Freak

I haven't rolled the jeep but u did a number in my old mustang. I had front end body,frame and mechanical damage. All in all $8k. I think if you had a straight frame and the steering is okay, and drove it home, it's worth fixing. Is this just body damage?
Old 02-14-2015, 03:02 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Man that sucks. I can only imagine how you feel. Tbh, I'm not even sure the insurance company covers off-road accidents. You may want to look into that first.

But I don't see how you can fix everything for a few grand. Parts are expensive. It seems the body panels and roll bar are tweaked. If the frame isn't then you could probably repair it somewhat. Pull the panels out yourself and add armor over them. Get an aftermarket cage and replacement windshield and frame. Replace the damaged interior panels or just leave them as that is really superficial damage.

Good luck and keep us updated.
Old 02-14-2015, 03:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it's worth contacting the insurance company to see if off-road accidents are covered. Then making a decision based on that.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:57 AM
RC3
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I rolled my first Jeep many years ago in the sand dunes in Johnson Valley. The insurance company totalled it out due to the tub being badly bent (the top and doors were off) and they paid it off 100%. They even allowed me to go to the body shop and remove all my aftermarket items such as wheels, tires, winch, cb, etc.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Dude, it's just a bunch of flesh wounds.
If it was me, I would pay the $400 to get the door somewhat repaired, by all the body armor and cover up the rest. Aftermarket roll cage, new hood, and windshield and frame. Likely the windshield parts would be the toughest to find. However, before I did any of that, I would take it and make sure the frame is straight. You could probably get the whole thing to be acceptable looking for a couple of grand.

Just my opinion, and I am pretty fastidious about my rolling stock.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would contact the insurance company
It should be covered
Old 02-14-2015, 05:51 AM
JK Freak

Oh man, that sucks but I agree that they look like just flesh wounds. I would hit every junk yard and dealer body shop looking for a wrecked Jeep with a good windshield, many Jeeps get totaled because the tub is badly damaged, but the windshields are intact. Leave your contact information with what you are looking for, I bet in no time you will get a call.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where r u guys seein pics? I see no pics.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:38 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Chefbrujo
Where r u guys seein pics? I see no pics.
He has a link to pics in the first post.

Quick Reply: Rolled My JK and need guidance on next steps...