Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Rubicon as regular Driver?

Old 07-29-2015, 06:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

great info!!!

good call on the tires.. im lucky pn my current one as im WAY UNDER my allowed miles so my tires will satisify the lease gods at turn-in, but if id driven my allotted im sure id be right on that fine line... great idea to get new rubber.. even uy a set of similar to whats on the sport.. Re-cal the speedo and be similar.. then put the factory tires back on later...

to the post about the 430, I have tried in my current JK using an ipad mini on the dash for Navigation.. of course i have an assortment of online vs offline apps.. I almost always have WAZE running but mainly just for speed traps and traffic Jams....

im kind of to the point of enjoying everything integrated and Built in, even if it is not the super quality of a Pioneer AVIC or such.. mainly because factory gear isnt often stolen, and if it is, insurance companies dont give you any flack about it.. they replace it...

my Jeep gets parked top and doors off alot near downtowns of cities.. (I love cities.. I hang out in cities, walk cities, Bike cities, write a TON of code being insprired by cities...).. cities also tend to bring more thugs or kiddies wanting to steal anything that isnt nailed down (and stuff that is)...

believe it or not the BEST dash system I have ever seen is in my SmartCar.. that thing runs Android, has the full google play store, and does it all... GPS, GPS tracking, Rear cam, Front dash cam, Lane drift assist, AM-FM-DVD, internet, i can even mirror my iPhone to it.. not quite carplay but close... I wish Wrangler had something similar...

but until then I'll get a 730N in my next JK..

-Christopher
Old 07-29-2015, 06:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepaRoo
great info!!!

good call on the tires.. im lucky pn my current one as im WAY UNDER my allowed miles so my tires will satisify the lease gods at turn-in, but if id driven my allotted im sure id be right on that fine line... great idea to get new rubber.. even uy a set of similar to whats on the sport.. Re-cal the speedo and be similar.. then put the factory tires back on later...

to the post about the 430, I have tried in my current JK using an ipad mini on the dash for Navigation.. of course i have an assortment of online vs offline apps.. I almost always have WAZE running but mainly just for speed traps and traffic Jams....

im kind of to the point of enjoying everything integrated and Built in, even if it is not the super quality of a Pioneer AVIC or such.. mainly because factory gear isnt often stolen, and if it is, insurance companies dont give you any flack about it.. they replace it...

my Jeep gets parked top and doors off alot near downtowns of cities.. (I love cities.. I hang out in cities, walk cities, Bike cities, write a TON of code being insprired by cities...).. cities also tend to bring more thugs or kiddies wanting to steal anything that isnt nailed down (and stuff that is)...

believe it or not the BEST dash system I have ever seen is in my SmartCar.. that thing runs Android, has the full google play store, and does it all... GPS, GPS tracking, Rear cam, Front dash cam, Lane drift assist, AM-FM-DVD, internet, i can even mirror my iPhone to it.. not quite carplay but close... I wish Wrangler had something similar...

but until then I'll get a 730N in my next JK..

-Christopher
Glad I could help.

BTW, the 730N is discontinued for 2016 according to my dealer. I just met with him Monday to complete the order on a 2016 Sahara.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:47 AM
JK Super Freak

wonder what the replacement for it is.. My dealer didnt yet have the ability to order a 2016.. interesting that yours does.. im goingto have to ping them again.. as i was looking for the 2016 Dealer Options sheets..

maybe only the 430N is available? kind of bums as people seem to treat it as the red-headed step child to the 730N, I think the wrangler was the last vehicle to use it other than the Fiat 4 doors appeared to have their version.

I didnt see anything about a dash redesign yet for the 8" U-connect but im guessing that will be the redesign wrangler..

-CHristopher
Old 07-30-2015, 04:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just the the 430 and 430 N showing on the Chrysler order site. I actually sat down with my dealer and went over my order with him side by side. Only the standard colors and option packages show at this point. None of the special editions or feature colors are available for order yet which sucks because there is word of a new Olive interior available on Saharas and I'm interested in it but not willing to wait.

The dealer I used was Adams Jeep of Maryland and the salesman was Keith Cook.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:39 AM
JK Super Freak

that dealer sounds familiar.. I had found a perfect JK (online) while I was out in baltimore .. in 2013.. i think it may have been there.. I was doing a job on fells point.. and a few days later I called... figuring I would do a 1 way 'haul' with my rental car, pick up the JK and drive it home.. but it sold the day before I called so i ended up buying one in my hometown missing a couple options I wanted...

this next time im going back to ordering Like I did with my first 2 JK;s...

im not in any Big hurry, I'll wait for the order info to come out.. when I ordered previously I got them in 3-4 weeks (im only 2 hours from toledo).. they come down the pike pretty quick.. no train rides, just right from factory to car hauler to dealer..

-Christopher
Old 08-04-2015, 07:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's pointless and outright ridiculous to get a Rubicon (or a Wrangler for that matter) if you are never gonna take it off road. Still, you should do it anyway.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:45 AM
JK Newbie

I just bought a 2015 JKUR Hard Rock in June as a DD with a few mild wheeling trips here and there. My wife and I both love it. Is has the 6 spd manual, 730n, 4.10's and mud terrains. Although it will never be confused as a street racer, it has plenty of pick up for everyday driving. I am not real crazy about the nav part of the 730n. The map doesn't seem to be up to date and the POI's aren't either. The mud terrains are noisey but not excessively so. They are somewhat stiff but don't ride too terribly bad. I haven't experienced any wear issues but only have 4000 miles on them. Overall, I am very happy with the Rubi and wouldn't think twice about doing it again.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LidLess07X

My concern would be the tires. The ones that come on the Rubi are an 8 ply E-load range tire (think F-250 F-350), and will probably produce more road noise ,have a much stiffer ride, and require frequent rotations.
Actually the MTs on the Rubicon are a c range tire and are fine, other then I agree for a straight up daily driver with minimal off road an AT tire would be a better choice.

Also I'd recommend the 3.73 gears if your going to keep it stock. I have the 4.10s and with the stock tires on the hwy at 80 its running around 3000 RPMs which isn't optimal.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'd like to also add that I've had 3 Rubicons, a TJR, JKR, JKURHR, along with my TJ Sport and all were Daily Drivers......good luck with your decision.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Chango
It's pointless and outright ridiculous to get a Rubicon (or a Wrangler for that matter) if you are never gonna take it off road. Still, you should do it anyway.
not pointless at all... I get a Huge amount of enjoyment out of cruising around and roadtripping top down doors off... .. and playing in the snow too....

ive decided to go ahead and order a rubicon when the dealers get all of their order details in as far as options, pricing, etc...

I was told usually september..

-Christopher

Quick Reply: Rubicon as regular Driver?