Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Rubicon as regular Driver?

Old 07-29-2015, 03:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rubicon as regular Driver?

the lease on my 2013 will be over in a few months, Im not much for Used vehicles so I'll trade it in on a New JK..

I want the Black fender flares (like the sport), and also Factory navi (please no suggesting aftermarket...)..

of course to get NAVI I need to go to a Sahara which i hate the body colored flares....

Black flares and Navi it appears i need to buy a Rubi for that...

(im not much for Mods being I lease them, so swapping flares. and having to store a bunch of extras in my house isant happening)..

my question is How does a Rubi do as a regular driver? I really dont wheel anymore other than driving in deep snows of winter... I mainly have the Jeep for top down doors off fun in summer.. and my several road trips per year from Ohio to Florida to escape the Yucky winters...

the Jeep isnt my "daily " driver except in summer when I run it nearly every nice day we have..
as mentioend i do road-trip it..

my current sport S has a fantastic ride quality... Quiet soft top, stiff but not crazy, tires are quiet (stock 17" wheels and tires)..

with Rubi it looks like I can get the creature comfort items I want, Power, Uconnect, Alpine, Auto temp, NAVI and still have Black flares....

my current sport S 6 speed has 3.21 gears and is a little sluggish at take-off so im thinking a Rubi with its stock 32's i should opt for the 4.10's? or are the 3.73's plenty for normal road trip driving?

-Christopher
Old 07-29-2015, 04:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can also get a factory navigation radio online or upgrade to an aftermarket if it isn't available in the sport. Additionally, a dealer than wants your business will happily add a nav unit and Uconnect to your sport
Old 07-29-2015, 04:02 PM
JK Freak

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

My JKUR is relatively un-modified and performs great as a daily driver. Think of it like having a Z71, though you may never use it, the hardcore 4WD components are there if and when you need them.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by doc5339
My JKUR is relatively un-modified and performs great as a daily driver. Think of it like having a Z71, though you may never use it, the hardcore 4WD components are there if and when you need them.
funny you compare it to a Z71... since I just got one of those a little over a month ago....

-Christopher
Old 07-29-2015, 04:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepaRoo
funny you compare it to a Z71... since I just got one of those a little over a month ago.... -Christopher
I took my old Z71 muddin' a handful of times, have done even less with the Rubi, but like knowing its all there if I need it. Resale is probably a hair better as well.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I traded my 2012 Sport 4 dr in on a 2015 Rubi this April. I drive it everywhere. Mine does only have 3.73 gears. I drive a lot doing sales calls for my family pool business in the Cincinnati area. JK is great for top off in the good weather and goes anywhere when it's bad. I wanted the nav, better stereo and also the better off road parts of the Rubicon for some small mods and when I do get time to go off road. Go for it you will love the upgrade.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Rubicon sounds like the best choice for what you are looking for. There is obviously a higher cost involved but resale is higher too so maybe not too much.

My concern would be the tires. The ones that come on the Rubi are an 8 ply E-load range tire (think F-250 F-350), and will probably produce more road noise ,have a much stiffer ride, and require frequent rotations.

See if the dealer will swap them for an A/T tire ,trade someone, or pull them off and replace them and save them for trade in time.

Not sure if this applies , but the 430N is available minus Nav on the other models if you only want it for the touch screen and such. That is my plan since I use WAZE on my ipad for navigation and I like it much better.

Good luck.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LidLess07X
The Rubicon sounds like the best choice for what you are looking for. There is obviously a higher cost involved but resale is higher too so maybe not too much.

My concern would be the tires. The ones that come on the Rubi are an 8 ply E-load range tire (think F-250 F-350), and will probably produce more road noise ,have a much stiffer ride, and require frequent rotations.

See if the dealer will swap them for an A/T tire ,trade someone, or pull them off and replace them and save them for trade in time.

Not sure if this applies , but the 430N is available minus Nav on the other models if you only want it for the touch screen and such. That is my plan since I use WAZE on my ipad for navigation and I like it much better.

Good luck.
I agree the Rubi is a good choice. Mine's my DD, just under 4 years and will hit 70k this week. I've got the 4:10's. As far as the tires, I'm still on the factory KM1's and they are Load Range C (just double checked). Mines made a few trips to Florida as well and the family doesn't mind the tire hum ( if the tops down the wind will be louder anyway).

Go for it!
Old 07-29-2015, 05:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

My 2011 JKUR has been my DD since I bought it new. Never had a complaint (well... I guess we ALL would think they are underpowered).

For three years it ran with the stock wheels/tires and 4.10 gears. This last year it's been running with 35x12.5 Cooper Discoverer STT tires on Black Rhino rims and 5.38 gears and it is still an excellent daily driver.
Next year it goes taller.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:41 PM
JK Newbie

We have a '15 Sport S and a '15 rubicon, both 4 door. Ride is similar, so is handling except I believe the AT tires corner better than the MT's.

Quick Reply: Rubicon as regular Driver?