Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Rubicon Trail And a Stock 4 Door Rubicon?

Old 06-13-2008, 07:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubicon Trail And a Stock 4 Door Rubicon?

Hoping to get some input from anybody that's been on the Rubicon with a 4 door JK.

Have met a bunch of Jeepers and I'm getting mixed input from them-- none have JK's.

So will the *trail rated* badge live up to its name with a 4 door Rubicon ON the Rubicon trail??????????????

The mixed reactions I'm getting is that I need more clearence , definitely need skids, and I'm getting from them too that the stock rubi rockers might not be up to the side and/or under protection needed.

ANY input is greatly appreciated if you've been on the trail.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

It all depends how much damage you can live with. Jeep Jamboree generally recommends against long wheelbase Jeeps on the Rubicon. http://www.jeepjamboreeusa.com/trail-ratings.htm . That said, Jeep has taken auto writers on numerous trips on the Rubicon in stock Rubi's and they all survivied.

Last edited by Robar; 06-13-2008 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Please do not post direct non sponsor links.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:14 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK Dawg
It all depends how much damage you can live with. Jeep Jamboree generally recommends against long wheelbase Jeeps on the Rubicon. http://www.jeepjamboreeusa.com/trail-ratings.htm . That said, Jeep has taken auto writers on numerous trips on the Rubicon in stock Rubi's and they all survivied.
Ah thank you! Now thats what I've been hearing....

I would certainly assume I aint gonna go crazy on any part of it-- but I'd really like to drive the trail and not be a passenger in someone else's rig. Thanks for the link.
Old 06-14-2008, 02:40 AM
JK Jedi

Your Jeep can definitely do the trail, plenty of proof on youtube if you wanna see for yourself. That said, don't expect to make it through without some grinding and scraping on the undercarriage.

Though they stopped doing it, Jeep used to run all of their "Trail Rated" vehicles through the Rubicon (hence the badge). The Commander and Liberty have both successfully done the trail (with some battle scars though) The JK is more capable than either of those.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:22 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by KJRubiconWannaBe
I thought I read that somewhere, too. Is it still printed anywhere on Jeep.com or any Jeep literature that you know of?

Don't have anything on hand, I just remember reading this is the significance of the "Trail Rated" badge. I've also seen pics of both the banged up Liberty and battered Commander after their runs
Old 06-14-2008, 10:10 AM
JK Freak

Thanks guys, I can live with scrapes.....just dont wanna have to get towed!!!!!
Old 06-14-2008, 12:21 PM
JK Freak

When the JK first came out I saw a show on the speed channel where they ran the rubicon trail in a stock rubicon jk and it made it just fine. Your rock rails should be fine. I have seen some pretty hardcore wheelers using those and have always been fine. Just be sure to run the trail with a couple of other experienced jeepers because you probably will get stuck at some point but that's all part of the fun. I plan on make the long drive from SoCal to run the rubicon.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:28 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by deconstructionist
Thanks guys, I can live with scrapes.....just dont wanna have to get towed!!!!!
Have yourself a good spotter and you'll be fine, just remember anything can
happen on the trail, especially a moderately challenging one like the Rubicon. Enjoy it!
Old 06-14-2008, 11:03 PM
JK Freak

Thanks folks-- makin me feel better with each chime in. On the flip side though....NOW if I tell my wife I just might make it in stock configuration-- I might be shooting myself in the arse later when I want a lift!!!!
Old 06-15-2008, 10:41 PM
JK Super Freak

When you go be sure to take lots of pictures and post them here. Let us know how things worked out. There probably are lots of us wondering about the Rubicon Trail and the J Ks.

Quick Reply: Rubicon Trail And a Stock 4 Door Rubicon?