Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rubicon Trail And a Stock 4 Door Rubicon?

Hoping to get some input from anybody that's been on the Rubicon with a 4 door JK.

Have met a bunch of Jeepers and I'm getting mixed input from them-- none have JK's.

So will the *trail rated* badge live up to its name with a 4 door Rubicon ON the Rubicon trail??????????????

The mixed reactions I'm getting is that I need more clearence , definitely need skids, and I'm getting from them too that the stock rubi rockers might not be up to the side and/or under protection needed.

ANY input is greatly appreciated if you've been on the trail.

It all depends how much damage you can live with. Jeep Jamboree generally recommends against long wheelbase Jeeps on the Rubicon. http://www.jeepjamboreeusa.com/trail-ratings.htm . That said, Jeep has taken auto writers on numerous trips on the Rubicon in stock Rubi's and they all survivied.
    Last edited by Robar; 06-13-2008 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Please do not post direct non sponsor links.
    Steel blue Rubicon Unlimited received on 3/5/08. Sold my '91 XJ after 17years. It was worth it.

Mods to date: Old Man Emu HD coils in front, Rubicon Express BB in back with monotube shocks; 35" BFG All Terrain t/a's on 17 x 8.5 wheels; Shrock Works mid-width bumper w/ Warn 8000; Rock Hard rocker guards & evap can skid plate; Cool Tech CB mount & tailgate kit; trans cooler; 130w KC Slimlites; Fuel door & s/s sill plates; Superchips Flashpaq; More to come (as wife allows).

Quote Originally Posted by JK Dawg View Post
    It all depends how much damage you can live with. Jeep Jamboree generally recommends against long wheelbase Jeeps on the Rubicon. http://www.jeepjamboreeusa.com/trail-ratings.htm . That said, Jeep has taken auto writers on numerous trips on the Rubicon in stock Rubi's and they all survivied.
    Ah thank you! Now thats what I've been hearing....

I would certainly assume I aint gonna go crazy on any part of it-- but I'd really like to drive the trail and not be a passenger in someone else's rig. Thanks for the link.

Your Jeep can definitely do the trail, plenty of proof on youtube if you wanna see for yourself. That said, don't expect to make it through without some grinding and scraping on the undercarriage.

Though they stopped doing it, Jeep used to run all of their "Trail Rated" vehicles through the Rubicon (hence the badge). The Commander and Liberty have both successfully done the trail (with some battle scars though) The JK is more capable than either of those.
    2007 X (2 door)- Redrock, Auto, D44, 4.10's, Freedom Top, 17" Moab Wheels with 32" BFG M/Ts, Rubicon Rock Rails, Infinity speakers, Airaid intake.

Quote Originally Posted by KJRubiconWannaBe View Post
    I thought I read that somewhere, too. Is it still printed anywhere on Jeep.com or any Jeep literature that you know of?

Don't have anything on hand, I just remember reading this is the significance of the "Trail Rated" badge. I've also seen pics of both the banged up Liberty and battered Commander after their runs
    2007 X (2 door)- Redrock, Auto, D44, 4.10's, Freedom Top, 17" Moab Wheels with 32" BFG M/Ts, Rubicon Rock Rails, Infinity speakers, Airaid intake.

Thanks guys, I can live with scrapes.....just dont wanna have to get towed!!!!!

When the JK first came out I saw a show on the speed channel where they ran the rubicon trail in a stock rubicon jk and it made it just fine. Your rock rails should be fine. I have seen some pretty hardcore wheelers using those and have always been fine. Just be sure to run the trail with a couple of other experienced jeepers because you probably will get stuck at some point but that's all part of the fun. I plan on make the long drive from SoCal to run the rubicon.
    Trails Wheeled In My 07 Sahara
    John Bull
    Cleghorn
    Lytle Creek-4
    Trabuco Canyon
    Anza Borrega
    Santiago Peak-3
    Strawberry Lake
    Red Lake
    Mecca

Quote Originally Posted by deconstructionist View Post
    Thanks guys, I can live with scrapes.....just dont wanna have to get towed!!!!!
    Have yourself a good spotter and you'll be fine, just remember anything can
    happen on the trail, especially a moderately challenging one like the Rubicon. Enjoy it!

Thanks folks-- makin me feel better with each chime in. On the flip side though....NOW if I tell my wife I just might make it in stock configuration-- I might be shooting myself in the arse later when I want a lift!!!!

When you go be sure to take lots of pictures and post them here. Let us know how things worked out. There probably are lots of us wondering about the Rubicon Trail and the J Ks.
    2008 Rubicon, 4 door
    Red Rock Crystal
    Dual tops
    Warn front bumper w. grill guard
    Warn Power Plant
    Teraflex 2.5" coil lift
    2-meter Ham radio
    CB radio
    Light Force 140 Lance off road lights
    JK likes to play dirty!

11. Default JK-Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast