Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Safe to drive it this weekend?

Old 02-22-2013, 09:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safe to drive it this weekend?

Hey everyone i just installed a 3" suspension lift w/ 35s. I get a bit of a wobble and based on input on here i have ordered front and rear adjustable track bars and front lower and rear upper control arms to adjust the caster because a lot of people said I will burn up my drive shaft if i dont. Anyway I have to drive about an hour and a half one way tonight for military training this weekend and drive back on sunday night. I can do a solid 55 mph w/ no wobble and feel safe driving it....I was just worried about the additional stress on the vehicle until my parts come to adjust the caster. Some said it will burn up my drive shaft? This is the first lift I have put on Jeep and run myself so i want to be sure its safe to drive that far on the highway before I burn something up. The lift was just put on less than week ago. Any input is awesome...leaving tonight. Thanks again.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by enash965
Hey everyone i just installed a 3" suspension lift w/ 35s. I get a bit of a wobble and based on input on here i have ordered front and rear adjustable track bars and front lower and rear upper control arms to adjust the caster because a lot of people said I will burn up my drive shaft if i dont. Anyway I have to drive about an hour and a half one way tonight for military training this weekend and drive back on sunday night. I can do a solid 55 mph w/ no wobble and feel safe driving it....I was just worried about the additional stress on the vehicle until my parts come to adjust the caster. Some said it will burn up my drive shaft? This is the first lift I have put on Jeep and run myself so i want to be sure its safe to drive that far on the highway before I burn something up. The lift was just put on less than week ago. Any input is awesome...leaving tonight. Thanks again.
The wobble will not hurt your drive shaft. Flexing with a 3" lift might. You may get unusual tire wear from a bad alignement. If it feels safe, drive it.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:37 AM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it depends if you have stock gearing and driveshafts or if you have aftermarket gears and driveshaft where setting the rear angles are a concern due to vibes.I have 4.5" of lift with stock driveshafts and stock gearing and even retained the stock control arms (no correction brackets or cam bolts either) and my jeep drives fine. It's an odd set-up I know, but it works for me and I'm happy with it. I never had wobbles, shimmies, bump steer, flightiness or any of those ill-effects associated with my lift. Any flightiness I've encountered on my Jeep was due to excessive tire pressure.

Last edited by Runewolf1973; 02-22-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Runewolf1973
I think it depends if you have stock gearing and driveshafts or if you have aftermarket gears and driveshaft where setting the rear angles are a concern due to vibes.
I'm running stock gears and drive shaft for the time being. I just wanna Maje sure I'm good to drive it this weekend.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-Ford

The wobble will not hurt your drive shaft. Flexing with a 3" lift might. You may get unusual tire wear from a bad alignement. If it feels safe, drive it.
Yeah I was just making sure it was good to go for the weekend until m control arms and track bar comes in.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As long as hitting a sharp bump does not cause real death wobble at 55 MPH. Because that is terrifying and can cause damage to components and/or a wreck. Be safe!
Old 02-22-2013, 10:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Yankee
As long as hitting a sharp bump does not cause real death wobble at 55 MPH. Because that is terrifying and can cause damage to components and/or a wreck. Be safe!
Yeah I haven't experienced the DW yet but I will stick to 55 mph in the slow lane.

Quick Reply: Safe to drive it this weekend?