Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Safety question

Old 08-18-2013, 09:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safety question

So had DW day before yesterday, did a quick check, and I think I need to replace tie rod bushings, upgrade steering stabilizer (looks to be leaking slightly), and in general get all bolts re-tightened. So here's the question: tomorrow we leave for Pinecrest Lake where I was hoping to do some light wheeling. Should I just leave the jeep at home to get properly worked on, or am I good for this trip if I take it easy? Trip is about 140 miles one way....
Thanks for the advice,
Old 08-18-2013, 09:58 AM
JK Super Freak

How bad was it? There's a ton of different write ups and everyone has their own idea what it is.

An easy way, is to have someone turn the wheel side to side while you look underneath. Look for loose or moving parts. Check the track bar bracket bolt. Try to move the track bar side to side at the bracket. A lot of times the bolt is smaller than the bushing. Just make sure everything else is tightened up and you should be fine.

If you take it in to a shop or dealer, I guaranty they say ball joints, tie rod ends, steering dampener.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:45 AM
JK Newbie

Scared the crap out of me when it happened :-). I went over a construction plate cover on the road when it happened. Did the check and nothing seemed lose or moving where it shouldn't. Track bar bolts were larger than my basic tools (up to 19 mm and 3/4 in) so couldn't check the torque on them. Sounds like a weekend project when I get back, and start one item at a time. Thanks.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:56 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Are you sure is was not impact shimmy? Has the same result as DW
Old 08-19-2013, 03:54 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by RioJK
So had DW day before yesterday, did a quick check, and I think I need to replace tie rod bushings, upgrade steering stabilizer (looks to be leaking slightly), and in general get all bolts re-tightened. So here's the question: tomorrow we leave for Pinecrest Lake where I was hoping to do some light wheeling. Should I just leave the jeep at home to get properly worked on, or am I good for this trip if I take it easy? Trip is about 140 miles one way....
Thanks for the advice,
This is probably a day late, but I will answer in case others read: DW is a very violent shaking of the front end of the Jeep. Each incident of it causes severe left/right movement of the front tires, and everything connected to them. It is so violent (if it's really DW), that each occurrence will cause damage to the vibrating components, making subsequent actions to repair it that much more difficult. This is why it's tough to fix. First maybe a loose track bar bolt causes it, then next thing you know the steering stabilizer is damaged, the trackbar bushings are worn, the axle bracket holes are ovaled out. And each single fix you try doesn't fix it--because there's yet more damage to repair. I think you can figure out where I'm headed here: Get it repaired, and drive it the absolute minimum until it is repaired.

Quick Reply: Safety question