Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Searched---cannot find the answer about soft tops! A somewhat newbie needs help!

Old 03-26-2015, 04:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Searched---cannot find the answer about soft tops! A somewhat newbie needs help!

So, I went cheap when I bought my 13 JKUSahara. Got it with the color matched hard top- which I felt I needed in PA.
With the past two winters, I question that decision as well, but thats another story.

So, in Summer '13 I picked up a soft top from a guy on "another" JK forum. not a bad price with all hardware and that for $500. Its got tinted windows and was (as he told) originally from an '08 (he had it on his '11). He ended up selling to me when he bought a new Trektop.

So...Ive got two years out of it. This "off season" it took a beating stored in the attic of the garage. The rear window is scratched beyond my liking and I feel like its losing its luster. So, I've begun the hunt- for something new.

As I do a lot of highway and higher speed backroad travel for work, I'd like to have something quieter. And with the kids in the back, it would be nice to hear them when they talk (shhh.. dont tell them I said that!).
Ive thus been looking at options.

really like the new Bestop Trektop Pro- but I have the hard top for winter, and Im estimating about 75% of the summer, I run with the sun rider open and the back window rolled up. (not possible with a glass back window). So, Trektop Pro is out!

Trektop NX seems to get a lot of love, but I just found out, I cant run my spiderwebshade with the trektop nx (?). From a guy who's 100% german and once quoted as being the "whitest white guy" he had ever seen (from a barber in downtown Baltimore), I cant go without my shade! So, Trektop NX seems out (unless this information was wrong!)

So, down to factory Mopar, Bestop or Quadratop (are they really any different??). If I go with the Sailcloth/Twill/Premium options, I've seen that I should gain some noise reduction, as well better insulation. Also being lead to believe that storage should be easier as the higher end fabric wont crack or degrade quite as quick as the black diamond vinyl.
If I really want just the base vinyl top- I've got one, and I could replace the windows- but doesnt everyone like an upgrade!!

For each "brand" of premium tops it seems you can get two versions- replacement windows and fabric or the whole shebang.
All of this for this question...drum roll........If you get a Sailcloth/Twill/Premium replacement, will it work with the hardware from an '08? Apparently the design changed with the intro of the premium style in '11? and there is now a spring assist?

Obviously the replacements at $500-900 are easier to swallow than $950-$1600. I just dont want to be stuck.

So, if anyone can tell me that a spiderwebshade can be run with a trektop NX that would be great. Ive got a lead on a used one for around $500.
If it can't I'm in the market for a new style Sailcloth/Twill/Premium top! (and will take any leads in the NE- I'm in southern PA)

Thanks guys and gals!
Chris
Old 03-26-2015, 05:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

NX come up for sale all the time as the OEM tops do too. Just have to keep an eye on the miscellaneous for sale. I have an 08 and found a 13 back in 2013 it was practically brand new. Paid around $400 and sold my old soft top for $200. So that was a pretty good deal. Newer tops have the spring assist so is way easier than the older models.
Just keep your eyes peeled and you should have no problem finding one before summer.
Look in Craig's list they come up all the time.
$500 for a used top is pretty steep
Premium "cloth" tops are $$$$
Old 03-26-2015, 05:12 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by aubreys dad
If you get a Sailcloth/Twill/Premium replacement, will it work with the hardware from an '08? Apparently the design changed with the intro of the premium style in '11? and there is now a spring assist?
All tops from 07 to present will fit with some caveats. If you were running an 08 top on your 11 then either the soft top header had be filed down already when you bought it, or you removed the footman loop when you put it on, or you had wind noise and/or water leaks in the middle of the header.

But if you have all the hardware from an 08 and you want to just replace the cloth, you will have to buy the replacement cloth for an 08, not an 11. The soft top has evolved over the years, the door surrounds changed, the roll bar brackets changed, the footman loop changed, and the size of the back window changed. As well, of course, as the top itself so it could work with the changes. You need to have all the hardware that matches the top, not the year of your Jeep.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was told by the sales manager jeep outsources the factory top to bestop.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:16 PM
Former Vendor

There are several guys here in FL that run the TrekTop NX with their spiderWeb shade. If you have any issues, give SWS a call and they'll walk you through how to set it up.

Michael @ Level 10
Old 03-26-2015, 05:47 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by WINGIT
I was told by the sales manager jeep outsources the factory top to bestop.
This is true. The factory soft tops are made by Bestop.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:52 AM
JK Newbie

OK so I have a Trektop NX and a Spiderwebshade... It will work, you just have to make two small slits in the shade to pass the Trektop center roll bar buckles through. I haven't done it yet but will be pulling the hard top and going with the Trektop in a few weeks. I'm a little concerned that the Spiderwebshade may unravel a bit around the slits, but that's my plan. Don't even try running the Trektop with sun rider folded back without buckling the center buckles-been there done that.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

I helped my son do that very thing.
Do NOT use a knife and it won't fray. When you go to make the "incision" use a torch to heat up the end of a cheap putty knife and make the cut with that. Hasn't frayed a bit.

Quick Reply: Searched---cannot find the answer about soft tops! A somewhat newbie needs help!