Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Self-healing mechanical issues?

Old 10-02-2012, 08:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Self-healing mechanical issues?

I'm not one to nickname my vehicles, but I think I'm going to have to start calling my JK "Christine".

I've had two nagging issues seemingly resolve themselves recently.

1) Leaking front passenger side axle seal. My dealer-replaced axle seal had been leaking for about a year. A few weeks back I pulled the axle to inspect it; to see if that could have been eating up seals. It looked ok, so buttoned it back up and figured I'd just find myself a new seal. Well... It's been back together for at least three weeks now, and the leak that was bad enough to frequently stain the inside of the tire, is now drying up. I have no plausible reason why. (Yes, there's plenty of fluid in the pumpkin!)

2) Phantom vibration. Could not determine where it was coming from. At some speeds it felt like driveshaft, at others it felt like a wheel. Rotated tires to my hearts extent and could not pinpoint any particular corner of the vehicle. Interrogated the shafts, checked all steering components, u-joints, hubs, etc. Even checked tires for roundness. Nothing concrete, but suspected rear driveshaft. Well, the vibe just up and faded out. Hasn't vibed in well over a month now.

I figure this is either the eye of the storm, I got something special going on here...

Anyone got similar stories?
Old 10-02-2012, 09:10 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep Christine sounds suitable

Quick Reply: Self-healing mechanical issues?