Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Selling my Jeep...

Old 05-01-2013, 04:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling my Jeep...

Don't worry I plan on getting another wrangler but right now I have a 2 door wrangler. I just had a kid and would like the 4 door variant. The problem is the title on the Jeep is "branded". It was a supposed "lemon" according to the previous owner. They stated that there was a transmission issue where it would pop out of gear often. I have owned the jeep for almost 3 years and took it off roading once but have not seen ANY issues with it. My question to you guys is, have any of you experienced selling a Jeep with a branded title? It does have aftermarket parts installed on it and I still owe 2 years worth of payments on it but the total amount is very low (around 13k left). It is a 2 door sahara with hard and soft top, winch, front bumper, driving lights, rear cargo rack above spare tire. Can anybody give me any guidance or comment on this since we all or most own Jeeps here?

Thank you.

*edit*
FYI I live in Wisconsin if anybody knows the laws/rules/whatever I need to consider when selling a branded title vehicle. I also know that I will not hold any advice that is given accountable if something doesn't go exactly what you say. I am simply looking for some advice and if anybody has ran into this issue before so I know what to expect.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

It will effect trade in value and alot of private sale people will steer clear of it, even if you say you had no problems.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:39 AM
JK Newbie

I suspect you'll have some difficulty selling it. When we were shopping we were close to buying a manufacturer buyback with the only issue being a leaky roof. In the end we walked away because of our concerns with reselling it down the road.
Hopefully I'm wrong and you get a quick and easy sale.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:09 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 2 boys (5) & (9) and a 2 door no problems. Get a cargo basket in the back to strap the stroller to and your gold. I see no reason to sell it unless your family only has the jeep as a single vehicle. If your in a 2 vehicle family just do some planning and logistics to make it work.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Right now my kid is 7 months old and only one car seat (the big bulky ones now). I want to take the jeep more places with the kid is the reasoning behind the 4 door. I was able to find a different dealership that will give me more than what I owe on it so I'm happy with that. However, the jeep that I am looking at does have a clean title but it sustained frame damage during an accident. I searched high and low to see if there were any cracks or what parts were replaced etc. They checked it out at their repair shop and said that it was within specifications of the manufacture. They even went to say that I can go through with the loan approval/transaction and keep them in the loop for a week or two while I get it checked out at another repair shop (because I don't trust them doing their own work) and if there were any major issues that they see wrong with it I can undo the transaction completely with no repercussions.

My next question, has anybody had issues selling a vehicle with a clean title but had frame damage? I would expect the value to go down some but how about trade in value, has anybody had hard time selling their jeep that had frame repair? I am expecting this one to last until I pay it off due to the only thing above it would be a Rubicon. It matches everything else almost apples to apples as far as year, mileage etc. The only difference is this one has that accident on the report (not the title) and the navigation unit.

Thoughts on this?
Old 05-03-2013, 04:49 AM
JK Freak

If the title is branded, then their must be away to unbrand it. Have a certified chrysler mechanic check or repair the transmission. And now why would you buy a jeep with frame damage? If you can not buy a new one or a good one, you better stick with the one you got.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Is the price worth all the hassle? I would expect a jeep with a bad title to go for like 15k. Seems like you paid more than that.

How much discount are you getting on the frame damaged one?

Quick Reply: Selling my Jeep...