Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Should i buy

Old 10-30-2012, 09:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should i buy

Looking at 09 rubicon unlimited with 38,000 miles there asking $27500, I have two kids 2 1/2 and 1, it would be my dd would it be a good switch ?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2533250167.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	383891  
Old 10-30-2012, 09:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i would love to see more people getting into wrangler but its not for everyone...

the new jks are getting nicer but they still are wranglers at heart

i have an 08 2 door softtop and this is what i deal with
loud highway noise
no room
rides like a brick
the seats arent the best for long drives

now if you got a jku with a hardtop it would be better. the jku rear doors are still only half the size so it will be hard for little ones

after all that i still love my jeep. i would say got rent a four door or test drive one with the kids and seats.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

i'm not sure what it's like to drive a truck like that one you have now. looks like there's a good amount of room in the cab. v8? all i can compare my 2012 jku to is my old TJ and my parent's BMW X5.

night and day to my TJ, there's no point in even comparing it. ride, space, quality of the interior... granted i loved my TJ, i got a JKU for the kids i hope to have in the near future (if that says anything). i had my nephew in my TJ and it was a work out getting his car seat in the back. i've had my wife's nephews in the back of my JKU in a carseat and it was zero issue getting him in and out.

compared to the parents' X5, to me there's more passenger room both front and rear, and more trunk space in my JK. the X5 drives like a sedan, the jeep does not. i have a sahara and got the leather interior because it's the one thing my wife requested. never thought i'd say it but it's friggin' beautiful. and i had it treated so stains/spills hopefully won't be too big an issue down the road. just as comfortable as an X5 to me.

are you pressed on a rubicon? i would bet you could find a 2012 sport s or sahara with significantly fewer miles for less than that '09 rubicon. you'd get the 3.6L which i think you might appreciate more than the 3.8L. both in performance and at the pump. and if you're going with an automatic you'll get the new transmission with the 3.6 (i have a manual but have heard high praise for the new automatic transmission).

agree with tonka... go test drive a 2012 vs something with the 3.8. might change your perspective on things. all in all though i feel very confident that any future children will be safe, comfortable, and happy with the top off riding in the back seat of my jku. good luck!

Last edited by tymonster; 10-30-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:12 AM
JK Super Freak

I traded in my Super crew f150 for my JK. And there are times I miss my truck. I can't carry people nearly as comfortable as I could in the truck. Just not gonna happen, there is a thing called leg room. I also often miss the functionality of having a pick up and am looking at getting another very soon. I just wont be getting rid of my JK to do it. I say go with the Jeep, but go knowing youre going to be missing your truck too. Try getting the Jeep for an extended test drive, see if they'll let you take it for a week, most places will and it will let you get the full experience of the smaller vehicle.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:49 PM
JK Junkie

I had a trundra 4 door before I got my JK and all I can say is You will miss your truck, but I have never thought once about getting rid of my JK. My theory is as soon as I pay off my
JK I will buy a truck and have the best of both worlds.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Depends on what kind of "Daily Driving" you do. If it's just local around town stuff, then sure, you could probably adjust. If it's a 40 minute highway drive each way to work, then you might want to consider it a bit more. Driving a Jeep longer distances day in and day out is more of an adventure, not just a mode of transportation. It can be a rough ride depending on road conditions, sluggish depending on gear/tire combo, loud due to wind noise on a soft or hard top and wet when you open your drivers side door and have a steady stream of water on your leg.

However, it could just be what you are looking for. I had my JK and my BMW 5 series at the same time. I drive to the airport a lot and hated getting home from a trip and my Jeep not being in the parking garage. So the BMW sat for a couple of months. I sold it and all I drive now is my Jeep. Love it and it still has all the characteristics that I listed above.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my JKU and would not want any other vehicle. I drive a quad cab pick-up for work and it's great. The power is nice, it's smoother on the hwy and the interior room and bed are awesome to have. But i still look forward to getting into my jeep at the end of the day. The jeep is amazing but like others have said on long trips with 4 people in the jeep and all their gear you'll wish you had the truck. I am sure if you go with the jeep you'll love it. The only issue you'll have with the jeep is what mods you'll want to get for it.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:06 PM
JK Newbie

I have a 15 minute drive to work so not to much driving, but we do take my truck a good bit,road noise doesn't matter I had a diesel with mud grapplers my last truck, thanks for the input keep it comen
Old 10-30-2012, 06:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

You'll miss the power of the truck I test drove a 2011 rubicon 6 speed it felt gutless (doesn't help my other car is a 1996 Camaro SS 6speed with quite a bit done to it) but I bought a 2012 Rubicon 6speed and it feels pretty quick for a brick on wheels it definently won't ride as smooth as your truck though
Old 10-30-2012, 06:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had a truck almost identical to yours and I absolutely loved it but I'm single with no kids. While the truck was very comfortable to drive, the jeep is just way more fun. And plus no one ever asks me to help them move anymore. I've had my buddy, his wife and there 10month old with the car seat in my jeep and I had to push the pass side seat up pretty far to fit it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121030_224730.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	384087  

Quick Reply: Should i buy