Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Is it a sin to keep a Jeep stock?

Old 02-14-2017, 04:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

^ that's the funniest thing I've seen on this site.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I call mine a nearly stock JK. My buddies look at me like I have 3 heads when I say that. I don't consider a JK like mine to be far from factory. No body cutting, all factory suspension mounts on the frame. Yep, nearly a pure stock JK.

At the end of the day, from dealer inventory pure stock to The Dirtman's build.... we all do it our way. Me, I just tweaked my JK out a little bit to make it more fitting to my desired use. But one day I may go crazy and really mod it. Or maybe I will not?
Old 02-15-2017, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by larry0071
I call mine a nearly stock JK. My buddies look at me like I have 3 heads when I say that. I don't consider a JK like mine to be far from factory. No body cutting, all factory suspension mounts on the frame. Yep, nearly a pure stock JK.

At the end of the day, from dealer inventory pure stock to The Dirtman's build.... we all do it our way. Me, I just tweaked my JK out a little bit to make it more fitting to my desired use. But one day I may go crazy and really mod it. Or maybe I will not?
One of these days, I'm going to drop a Prius Hybrid engine into my JK......or maybe not?
Old 02-15-2017, 04:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tax return = upgrades

Originally Posted by MarbleheadGuy
A stock Jeep is still sweet. I totally planned to keep my latest JK stock but now less than a year later it's lifted, 35s, gears, bumpers, winch, lights, more. Your best bet for keeping it stock is to quit logging onto this site!

I just did my taxes. Thanks to my wife not working last year I'm getting a nice big return. So my new JK will be stock no more. I discovered that Clayton Off Road's headquarters is actually located ten minutes from my home. I already scheduled an appointment to do my gears from 3.21s to 4.88s and install a premium 2.5 lift kit. I am totally siked.

Now I can start obsessing about rims and tires.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:36 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is funny. I guess it depends on your religion? In my book I say it's a sin to leave any vehicle completely stock. Surely the factory couldn't have built a Jeep suited for everyone, by just changing colors.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 18thcenturguy
I just did my taxes. Thanks to my wife not working last year I'm getting a nice big return. So my new JK will be stock no more. I discovered that Clayton Off Road's headquarters is actually located ten minutes from my home. I already scheduled an appointment to do my gears from 3.21s to 4.88s and install a premium 2.5 lift kit. I am totally siked. Now I can start obsessing about rims and tires.
Good deal! You'll want a minimum of 35s with the 4.88s for sure. Smaller than that and you'll really be wound too tight with those gears and the 3.6 and spinning crazy RPMs.
Old 02-27-2017, 03:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm getting ready to trade my two door off and get a four door in the next week or two. I'm not wanting to lift it much but I do want to level it out. I can not stand the factory rake
Old 03-04-2017, 03:44 AM
JK Newbie

When they started putting those milk jug bumpers on the Jeeps, that's when I decided that the first mod would be a tube bumper.

Fortunately, since my wife decided to ding the stock bumper, it gave me an excuse to change it over.

There's nothing wrong with running a stock Jeep, but you better be able to take the top off and take the doors off if you want to make ME happy!

No "freedom top" for me thank you!!

The custom bumper sticker that I had made and put it on the Jeep, says it all, "CAUTION: driver often goes topless!"

Last edited by Soupy1957; 03-04-2017 at 03:47 AM.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:31 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 18thcenturguy
Two years ago I sold my TJ. It was built up pretty well 4" lift and 33"s etc etc. This weekend I bought a used 2015 JK. I'm in love with the ride. So much more comfortable than my old rig. It's my daily driver and I really want to lift it and such, but I'm afraid I will ruin the ride. I don't plan on doing any off roading and the JK looks good stock.

Anyone have any suggestions or opinions? Are there any kits and tire set ups that will keep the quality of the handling and comfortable ride?
Do what ever makes you happy
Old 03-16-2017, 06:14 PM
JK Newbie

I would keep it stock and do little things to it that won't mess with the ride itself. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Is it a sin to keep a Jeep stock?