Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Smittybilt.....

Old 06-26-2015, 06:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Smittybilt.....

So Tuesday when I was at work I noticed my semi new Atlas rear bumper rusting more than usual. Upon closer inspection I noticed the welds had broken at the corner of the tire carrier. I got it installed back in October so I figured I still had warranty. (at the time I didn't know it has a lifetime warranty) I talked to someone from Smittybilt on the phone who was short but to the point. He told me to email pictures and a receipt to an email address. Wednesday I got a reply from a Mike Perez asking for my address, so I sent it to him. Yesterday when I got home from work I had a huge box with a new tire carrier laying on my front porch. While I know that Smittybilt is hated on around here, I am impressed with they're service to me. The only thing I think would have been better is their phone menus. You have to navigate the menus to get past all the other companies that are own with Smittybilt.

I just wanted to share my warranty experience.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1271.JPG
Views:	392
Size:	2.28 MB
ID:	616030Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1272.JPG
Views:	369
Size:	2.17 MB
ID:	616031Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1283.JPG
Views:	319
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	616032
Old 06-28-2015, 03:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is great they did that.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:28 AM
JK Newbie

I'm glad they resolved it properly but damn that's pretty disheartening to see a metal welds failing like that. Was in the market for their XRC tire carrier but probably not anymore...
Old 06-29-2015, 06:17 AM
JK Newbie

I installed the new one this past weekend. It seems as tho I got a newer version of the tire carrier. Where the old carrier was bent, it was welded joints. Then newer one is all one piece bent to size. All the hardware is metric instead of normal. The nut for the main pin was different and much easier to install. Also I had zero issues adjusting the latch but it could also have been due to experience. Now all I gotta do it get it dirty so it matches the old bumper. Anyone got ideas for the old one?
Old 06-29-2015, 05:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They don't primer before powder coating in China. Chances are you are going to be back in the same boat a year from now.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:51 AM
JK Junkie

Great to know they stood behind their product. Maybe the newer design will not break.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:50 PM
JK Freak

Pretty sweet they did that. I've actually emailed a few times asking for help aligning the latch with no response. I may give them a call.

Quick Reply: Smittybilt.....