Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Snorkel plus dual battery compartment

Old 09-15-2013, 04:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snorkel plus dual battery compartment

I am looking to add a snorkel before making a 1,400 mile trip but wanted to be certain whatever snorkel I installed wouldn't inhibit a dual battery install. I have been reading the threads I could find about this as well as trying to research it outside of the forum but feel I'm more confused than I started. Any help on this subject would be much appreciated. In addition to a snorkel and dual battery box an onboard air compressor and a Permier onboard welder are future plans. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:22 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by CombatDiver
I am looking to add a snorkel before making a 1,400 mile trip but wanted to be certain whatever snorkel I installed wouldn't inhibit a dual battery install. I have been reading the threads I could find about this as well as trying to research it outside of the forum but feel I'm more confused than I started. Any help on this subject would be much appreciated. In addition to a snorkel and dual battery box an onboard air compressor and a Permier onboard welder are future plans. Thanks for the help.
You can't get this exact dual-battery kit anymore, but here's my AEV snorkel and Benchmark Designs aux battery installs ...

facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2774978134541.2125701.1260697505&type=1&l=c 357f868de
Old 09-16-2013, 03:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

AEV's snorkel configuration keeps away from the JK battery area. I had the same conclusion as Mark, and have an AEV snorkel with Benchmark dual tray.

With Benchmark now gone, I'd guess the dual battery trays from MORE and Rugged Ridge will also work with an AEV snorkel given the trays bolt in the same top left corner as Benchmark, away from the AEV snorkel intake.

I didn't like Rugged Ridge's snorkel (their high mount doesn't work with windshield lights) but did read it is compatible with their dual battery tray. If you like their snorkel, worth calling RR to confirm.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

To be perfectly honest I had narrowed it down pretty much to AEV, ARB and RR. RR has some pretty rough reviews when it comes to install. AEV appears to be the best bet and I can't tell for ARB but thought I would ask. Thank you both for responding. I will probably order the AEV and get it installed before my trip on October 5th.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

To be perfectly honest I had narrowed it down pretty much to AEV, ARB and RR. RR has some pretty rough reviews when it comes to install. AEV appears to be the best bet and I can't tell for ARB but thought I would ask. Thank you both for responding. I will probably order the AEV and get it installed before my trip on October 5th.

The only hard thing about the AEV Snorkel install is when you are standing there with your cutting tool looking at your hood. Once you start cutting the install is very easy.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The ARB snorkel enters the engine bay in same place as River Raider's snorkel, that doesn't work with dual batteries.

Good choice on the AEV.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:38 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You can use the Rugged Ridge XHD Snorkel and the MORE dual battery tray. The Tech Rep from RR said they have done it and tested its compatibility with their product.

Quick Reply: Snorkel plus dual battery compartment