Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

so many mods......not enough $$$

Old 02-14-2013, 07:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so many mods......not enough $$$

I know I'm not the only one to grapple with this dilemma. I'm not going to lift it yet, here are the 2 ways I'm debating spending the tax return.

Option #1
Expedition One front and rear bumper, front skid plate, high lift jack plus mount, a couple of warn shackles, and an arb snatch strap.

Option #2
winch plate on stock bumper, warn zeon S winch, aev rear tire carrier, high lift jack plus mount, warn shackles, and an arb snatch strap, front skid plate to where the plastic air dam goes (not sure if this is possible with out a bumper)

I'm really trying to do these mods once, the winch will have to wait in scenario #1. I foresee option # 2 costing more money when I decide to add the front bumper and rear (aev to match the tire carrier) as I'll be replacing a few things that were already added.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by junoh; 02-14-2013 at 08:39 AM.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your #2 is cheaper than #1. It depends on which brand, but decent winches are $300-400 now. The Exp One bumpers are $1000 for front and $1400 for rear.

I'd lift it and get the new tires first - this will make a huge difference to the drive and ability. The steel bumpers can wait, unless you want them for daily-driving Honda bashing.

A winch plate on stock or aftermarket bumpers is $100-150, and can easily be sold once you get a new front bumper with winch plate built in.

Using an AEV carrier on the stock rear bumper is a good budget way of getting a heavy 35/37" tire off the stock tailgate, but you'll still have the stock plastic bumper. If you like the Exp One rear (as I do, it's a great bumnper), I'd suggest you save and wait.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:12 AM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd do opition 1 and buy a cheap $275 "robo winch" off ebay (got my dad one and it works GREAT!) to hold u off till u save up for the warn winch
Old 02-14-2013, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Option one. I have nothing but good things to say about Expedition Ones products. They are top notch, and worth the money.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Go with #1 so many people get the heck out of the way of a big steel bumper. And if say you do end up hitting some body or they hit you a 5 buck can of bed liner can fix it. Where as the other car will need needing a whole new rear end.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

More mods than money is available. Story of our lives!!!

The guy above makes a good point. A lift and tires aren't on your list, but IMO starting there is advisable. Get it riding right before you pile a bunch of accessories on it.

Recovery gear is never a bad investment, but can you save money by going with a less expensive (but still very capable) winch? -Same with the other bits. Pretty shackles and snatch straps are nice to have, but the cheap ones also pull vehicles out of bad places. It might be more money in your pocket to go towards those nice bumpers you want (which I don't advocate going with the cheapest model...there's money in bumpers for a reason other than vanity).
Old 02-14-2013, 01:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

I hear you on the lift I just haven't been able to convince the wife, hence the bumpers (trying to get it ready for when I do get the go ahead).
Just to entertain the idea though I am pretty sure about going for a 2.5 inch spring lift ( tf or aev) but then I would also need to reprogram the computer, new wheels or spacers, and a tire carrier. Then of course bigger tires. I'm afraid that's going to cost more than the $3000 I have to spend, assuming i'm not going to re-gear I'm thinking of 33's with rubi gears will be fine.
Am i missing anything from that list?

Last edited by junoh; 02-14-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Assuming your Rubi has 4.10 gears, then with 35s you can get away without regearing and just use an AEV procal to reset the speedometer, and reset the shift points if you have an auto - they are often sold used (but unused) in For Sale section for $100. I'd guess 33s wouldn't need any reset, and certainly don't need a lift to fit them.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:19 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by junoh
I hear you on the lift I just haven't been able to convince the wife, hence the bumpers (trying to get it ready for when I do get the go ahead).
Just to entertain the idea though I am pretty sure about going for a 2.5 inch spring lift ( tf or aev) but then I would also need to reprogram the computer, new wheels or spacers, and a tire carrier. Then of course bigger tires. I'm afraid that's going to cost more than the $3000 I have to spend, assuming i'm not going to re-gear I'm thinking of 33's with rubi gears will be fine.
Am i missing anything from that list?
I did my lift, tires, and wheels all for 3100. Regear really isn't needed at all for me, Ive barely noticed the difference really.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:29 PM
JK Newbie

I just did a 3" Zone coil suspension lift with nitro shocks, zone quick disco front swaybar links, rugged ridge wheel spacers, warn rock crawler stubby front bumper w/ grill guard, 2" recovery hitch, hi-lift jack, hi-lift neoprene cover, hi-lift stabilization base, hood mount for the hi-lift, and recovery strap all for $1500 and my own blood, sweat, and time for installing everything.

If I had your budget, I would add the rear bumper w/ tire carrier and a winch. I would then add the wheels, tires, and programmer later.

Quick Reply: so many mods......not enough $$$