Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Soft door security?

Old 04-23-2015, 11:05 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the OP's concern is someone stealing their brand new half doors....
Old 04-23-2015, 11:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kaptkrappy
Bestop 2 Piece Soft Doors have a lock in the handle. It's there for locking the door "TO" the JK not for locking "THE" JK up.

I have locked my doors several times with the top down and no windows and you get the strangest looks from people.

I do the same thing and walk around to all 4 doors and individually lock them to keep them from getting taken if my top is down and the uppers are not on. Would be cool if there was a way to secure them on the hinge side so I could just leave them unlocked.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:16 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by DJ1
I think the OP's concern is someone stealing their brand new half doors....
Yes, this is what I'm worried about. I think I'm going to try the cable and lock combo. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:26 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by kaptkrappy
Bestop 2 Piece Soft Doors have a lock in the handle. It's there for locking the door "TO" the JK not for locking "THE" JK up.

So for clarification, even though you may have locked the latch/handle, can't someone still unlock the door from the inside? If that's the case, someone can just reach in, open the door from the inside, then run off with your doors especially if the pin/hitch bolts aren't on or able to be used.

Am I missing something here?
Old 04-23-2015, 05:29 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ1

So for clarification, even though you may have locked the latch/handle, can't someone still unlock the door from the inside? If that's the case, someone can just reach in, open the door from the inside, then run off with your doors especially if the pin/hitch bolts aren't on or able to be used.

Can't open from inside unless you break the lock on the latch
Old 04-23-2015, 07:53 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by robsjeep9
Can't open from inside unless you break the lock on the latch

So the doors can't be locked or unlocked from the inside. So from the inside, I'm visualizing it's just a simple lever to open the door if the lock outside is "unlocked" for at least the aftermarket doors unless the MOPAR half doors are the same also...
Old 04-24-2015, 04:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by DJ1

The Bestop latch only has one way to lock/unlock and that is with the key from the front side. Given enough time, someone can steal anything they want, this just keeps people from walking away with them.

Originally Posted by DJ1

So the doors can't be locked or unlocked from the inside. So from the inside, I'm visualizing it's just a simple lever to open the door if the lock outside is "unlocked" for at least the aftermarket doors unless the MOPAR half doors are the same also...

The latch has a hoop/hook kinda thing on the inside for opening.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Latch Set -lg.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	607894  

Last edited by kaptkrappy; 04-24-2015 at 04:21 AM.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:13 AM
DJ1
Former Member

^
Old 04-25-2015, 04:59 AM
JK Newbie

I was in northern Virginia for two years and all over north Georgia/Atlanta when I had my TJ. I would have the door uppers off and behind the back seat with all the windows out (no AC) and never had anyone bother anything. Even in busy areas around DC. If they're ballsy enough to take something like that and walk away cutting the top is just a minor obstacle.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:12 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wdleggett
I was in northern Virginia for two years and all over north Georgia/Atlanta when I had my TJ. I would have the door uppers off and behind the back seat with all the windows out (no AC) and never had anyone bother anything. Even in busy areas around DC. If they're ballsy enough to take something like that and walk away cutting the top is just a minor obstacle.
Ok, I have never had any problems with anybody messing with my jeep...EVER. I used to take all my soft top windows off of my old TJ from May to Oct every year for ten years. I'd just rather be safe than sorry when it comes to these expensive doors.

Quick Reply: Soft door security?