Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

SOFT TOP Access and Dog - Winter

Old 11-19-2012, 07:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOFT TOP Access and Dog - Winter

I am looking to pick up a 2013 JK Sport (23b) to build - I have had multiple soft tops but also had hard tops which I used in the winters.

I know there are drawbacks to a soft top in the winter, but I am specifically interested in the ability to gain access to the rear of the Jeep and to let me dog in and out. How rigid is the rear plastic and can it be opened - not rolled up, but unzipped and moved to allow access in and out.

I'd appreciate any feedback from members who have experience with a soft top a freezing temperatures - both good and bad!
Old 11-19-2012, 07:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

I unzip both sides up to the corner then flip it on the top. The. I lift the rear of my GreatDane in lol. Sometime I zip it shut sometimes I don't and just lower it locking the bar in the grooves.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

I unzip all but the vertical edge above the tail gate hinge and then swing the soft top open.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-970610307.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	390466
Old 11-20-2012, 04:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yes, the plastic is stiffer in the cold, but when I would let my dog in or out, I would just unzip the right hand side (as you face the rear of the Jeep), up to the corner and then lift it up with the tailgate wide open, creating a right triangle opening for the dog. Either side could be unzipped though. Trying to unzip through the corners though, forget it! Too hard. Also, you didn't say what kind of dog you have, but my lab could get in and out without touching the bottom of the window as long as I held it up high. Once he's in, or out, it was a simple and easy zip straight down. Given a choice though, I preferred the hard top in winter; for the wiper, defrost, and general ease of loading.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as you don't try to roll or fold it, it's all good.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've cracked mine once in 3 years, it was VERY COLD that morning though. I can't remember how cold it was that day, but it least below 10F. If it gets to cold I just let them hop over the seats.

Quick Reply: SOFT TOP Access and Dog - Winter