Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

soft top headliners

Old 09-02-2013, 04:44 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default soft top headliners

New jk owner and was wondering if anyone has any input on a soft top headliner? I tried to search, but it keeps error-ing out thanks for any help!!!!
Old 09-02-2013, 06:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the BesTop headliner, is that what you are asking about?
Old 09-03-2013, 06:11 PM
JK Newbie

Yes that's the one I am asking about. Is it a quality piece and does it help or more trouble than its worth?
Old 09-03-2013, 06:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Why do you want one?
Old 09-04-2013, 01:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the HotHeads...pricey, but super duper nice.

I looked at Boom Mats as well....but I have saddle leather interior, and they didnt' have tan.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:16 PM
JK Newbie

just to keep some heat out when the air is running maybe some cold in the winter time. Not really worried about the noise but just looking for some input. I read some bad stuff online about the quality of the Velcro they used on them. so just thought i'd ask the experts on here.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ammoman9999
just to keep some heat out when the air is running maybe some cold in the winter time. Not really worried about the noise but just looking for some input. I read some bad stuff online about the quality of the Velcro they used on them. so just thought i'd ask the experts on here.
What you heard about the Velcro is true! It's as much the Velcro as the cheap adhesive they use. The Velcro hold very well, so well it pulls the velcro strip right off the header! It happened to mine and I drilled some small holes in the header and put pop rivets through the Velcro to hold it in place. No problems since I've done that.

SA for performance, it does help a bit with insulating the interior. More so with help in cooling it off inside or heating it up quicker. When it sits in the sun, it still gets hot inside. And during the winter, it gets cold. It doesn't really do anything to deaden sound, you have vinyl windows, not much is going to help there! It does make the ceiling more finished looking. The white backing is a real PITA because it sticks to the Velcro and it will get pulls in the fabric because of it, but once it's installed you don't see the white side. It does not impair the function of the flip top, and when I put my top down, it all fits into the Smittybuilt Boot I have. Once it's installed you have no real reason to remove it. The one thing I would advise, either get a better quality piece of adhesive backed Velcro, put a strip of double sided 3M tape down first and attract the supplied Velcro to it, or do as I did and fasten the Velcro to the header with rivets or small sheet metal screws.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by panthermark
I have the HotHeads...pricey, but super duper nice.

I looked at Boom Mats as well....but I have saddle leather interior, and they didnt' have tan.
Yes, I'm quoting myself....in order to say.....ignore what I said. I was not paying attention.....Hotheads and Boom Mat are useless for a soft top.

Get yourself a full spiderwebshade (if you don't already have one. Stuff a blanket (or two) between the shade and the top. There you go.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by panthermark
Yes, I'm quoting myself....in order to say.....ignore what I said. I was not paying attention.....Hotheads and Boom Mat are useless for a soft top.

Get yourself a full spiderwebshade (if you don't already have one. Stuff a blanket (or two) between the shade and the top. There you go.
I just installed the spiderwebshade, ant it does kill the finished look you get from the BesTop headliner. I have some 1/4" thick grey foam matting the was packing material that I'm thinking of cutting and slipping between the liner and the soft top to see if that adds any additional insulation.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:45 PM
JK Newbie

Thank you for the great info I will have some things to think about. You guys are great!!!

Quick Reply: soft top headliners