Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Soft top ?s

Old 06-23-2013, 09:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft top ?s

Hey guys, Just enjoying my first full weekend with my new 2013 JKU. I have three questions regarding the soft top:

1. When the top is in sunrider mode, should I undo and tie up the rear corner sails? I keep the rear and side windows out but notice the corner sails flap a lot when driving. Are they going to stretch over time and become to loose?

2. For those of you who live in climates with a lot of rain or short summers: do you usually keep all the windows out and just put the full top on at night? I feel like I could keep the rear and side windows out all summer and if some rain got in the rear cargo then no biggie? Seems like a waste to put all the windows back in just for an overnight shower. I had a friend who literally took them off in May and stored them rolled until September. Thoughts?

3. When I attach the hooks of the soft top to the latches on the windshield, they are off centered a tiny bit. Do the latches need to hook on in the dead center? It closes fine. Thanks!
Old 06-23-2013, 10:03 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

1. I don't know if they'll strech or get loose, but you kinda need them attached to hold down thw rear bow or it will be loose and rattle. I tried this and the panels flapped worse being tied up.
3. The hooks lining up don't matter. What matters is how the top fits on the seals, and that's pretty automatic.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The sails can stretch a bit, but nothing detrimental. Guys do it all the time, I did it for years with my tj top, no problem. Invest in a cab cover, money well spent for covering at night or during rain. With a cover, you can store your windows from may to September except for those really rainy days here and there.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:42 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to live In NH for a while. I graduated from concord high in 2000. Now that I'm down south my blood has thinned so I don't like to drive my jeep if its under 75. In April my doors come off, door frame plastic pieces,windows out and my top gets taken down but not off. We have a lot of flash T storms with downpours so its nice to be able to put something up if I get caught in the rain.

The only time the top gets taken out totally is if I have to haul something in the back. Then it's 4 bolts and she's out. Easy as pie.

Not a fan of taking it totally out because you never know what Mother Nature will throw at ya.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:39 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Leaving the sails on help to keep the rear bow tight. It will stretch a bit but not much, windows out and sails on people call it safari style.
2. I have a raingear cover and I luv it. I mean the fit is nice, the cover has wide straps with hooks to anchor to many points under the jeep. They make the cover for top on or off, I have the top off cover but it covers well with my top folded down.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3965061231.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	471006
Covers the sides nice with or without doors
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1111687140.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	471007
Covers well past the tail lights unlike most brands
3. If the latches are slightly off center it no big deal.

Good luck
Augi
Old 06-23-2013, 02:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Keep the corners in otherwise the frame bar at the rear will slap around. They do get a little loose over time but it doesn't really affect how they work.

2. I had the same thought about leaving the windows out but learned my lesson when we had a windy storm that poured rain in sideways. My doors were still on and windows were up so the electronics didn't get wet but I had almost three inches of rain puddles in the foot wells.

3. Doesn't make a difference that i've noticed yet

Quick Reply: Soft top ?s