Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Some opinions on a new JK order...

Old 06-12-2013, 09:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some opinions on a new JK order...

Ok, here it goes.

I am trying to free up some cash so I am contemplating selling my 2012 Raptor and getting a 2014 Rubicon. I can no longer justify the cost of the Raptor living in FL. I had a 2003 TJ with a 4" lift on 33s back in the day and am wondering how things have changed.

If I do purchase...
I plan on swapping out the stock wheels and tires for something in the 33" range and a bit wider right after purchase. I assume with the current setup from the factory, this is more or less a straight swap with no re-gear etc? Also, do you guys recommend a ~2" BB with this for a better stance? Are there any options to stay away from? I had ford SYNC and need something comparable. I have to have Bluetooth.

Also, would you guys recommend I spring for the hard top for longer road trips, i.e. road noise?

Last thing...

Vehicle would be a daily driver 95% on-road, 5% off-road (if i'm lucky)
Old 06-13-2013, 02:27 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

33's will require a BB because of the width. Stock rubicon tires are 32s but narrower.

The hard top is great for a daily driver that sees a lot of miles. I own a soft top and half doors but its not a daily driver.

They all come with blue tooth now.

JK's are a big improvement over the TJs, and I've owned two TJ's and my current JKU.

However, they won't run like your Raptor. That's a fast truck!
Old 06-13-2013, 02:29 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you buy a Rubicon with 4.10's you won't need to re-gear for 33s.

If you get a lower model I think you can order a tow package to still get 4.10s.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a 2012 jk with 33" tires on 17x12.5 XD wheels, 4.5" offset. No lift. 3.73 gears, 6 speed. I average 19.85 mpg.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's my recommendations:

-Get a hard top with your Jeep from the factory. It's generally more expensive and a big pain to get a hard top in the aftermarket. They're ridiculously expensive to ship, and everyone who's buying one used wants more than they should be worth.

-Bluetooth is not standard equipment. Depending on the radio, uConnect WITH bluetooth is a separate option. It is absolutely possible to order the NAV unit with the beautiful screen and assume BT was included. It's not... I have a buddy that discovered that after he purchased his 2013 Rubi.

-33's are good and will look nice with a 2-2.5" BB or suspension lift. If you keep the stock wheels, you will need a hub-centric spacer setup. If you go aftermarket, order them with the correct backspacing.

-I'd advise you to think about going with a Sport instead of a Rubi. Unless you're doing some crazy wheeling, I'd go with a sport (and I did!). I saved about 10k on the purchase and then took 7k and put on 33" Duratracs, and went all AEV for bumpers and tire carrier and the 2.5" lift (Dualsport XT), plus a few other goodies. Looks cooler and is more functional than a Rubi in terms of suspension travel, track, and versatility with the bumpers. Food for thought, if you're waffling on your choice.

-If you go with a sport, get the 3.73 gearing. Rubis have optional 4:10 on the unlimited automatics. Beware.

Good luck! Post up with pics if you end up pulling the trigger on a new Jeep.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:00 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by BKGM Jeepers
If you buy a Rubicon with 4.10's you won't need to re-gear for 33s.

If you get a lower model I think you can order a tow package to still get 4.10s.
Unless things have changed, no way to get factory 4.10 unless you get the Rubicon. All other lower models only have a choice between 3.2 & 3.73.

Quick Reply: Some opinions on a new JK order...