Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Son of a!!!! First dent

Old 09-27-2014, 05:03 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
Well.... The problem with the loan gap insurance is that you continue to pay for it for the life of the load, even after there is no longer a loan gap.
Gap insurance. What a scam. Out to rob us of yet another penny. Gotta love it. How about. Insure the dang automobile. I'll shut up.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:33 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Ol' Bob

Gap insurance. What a scam. Out to rob us of yet another penny. Gotta love it. How about. Insure the dang automobile. I'll shut up.
If the buyer keeps the loan under three years or so, there is no need for gap insurance. Really, if you can't pay a vehicle off in three years, you should be buying a cheaper vehicle. I'm not a big fan of how insurance companies do business, but gap insurance is the buyer's fault for not living within his means.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:18 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
If the buyer keeps the loan under three years or so, there is no need for gap insurance. Really, if you can't pay a vehicle off in three years, you should be buying a cheaper vehicle. I'm not a big fan of how insurance companies do business, but gap insurance is the buyer's fault for not living within his means.
I'm debt free. Wouldn't know. When I grew up I lived by the 3 year rule. If not my dad would've killed me.

But it seems that if they cant afford it ... the loan should be denied or insurance refused. If we keep dumbing it down and creating clauses. We'll end up in a mess. Ohhhh. Wait a minute. We've already arrived.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

You should find a good PDR guy ,My wife jacked knifed my hobie getaway backing out of a farmers market weeks after getting the jeep she said she for got it was on the back. The left pontoon pushed the rear quarter buy the gas cap. It was the size of a dinner plate and 2-3 inches deep, the PDR guy pull it through the light well and you can't even see it
Old 09-27-2014, 04:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks all for the tips/tricks/advice.

Never removed the straps by the way. she's muddy now but I may try to get pics tomorrow when she's cleaned up.

Speaking of insurance. I'm hating it now! Sold the Evo and got the Jeep. I've got a 17 year old who HAD a Mazda 3. First, I get back from a business trip and I turn the phone on and boom..."This is blah blah from USAA...I'll work your claim!" What the?! Turns out, my son was at work, a girl jumped the curb in the parking lot and destroyed his front end. $4k in damage and the girl stuck around because she hit my kids car so hard it pushed it into an Army recruiting vehicle. YAY! So no hit to me there.

THE WEEK HE GETS THE CAR BACK...He had it a total of 6 days. Rearended someone. They were in an 07 Camry. Mazda was totaled and the other car too -- at a 25mph hit according to FHP. NOW...the lady is saying she's got soft tissue injuries to her neck and back. Bypassed her insurance and lawyered up.

Mom just bought kid a new (used) car so he can get to work because I have 3 kids. I'm one car and done. That's my rule. What she does...So be it.

Nevertheless, I've ensured he's started working overtime in the event the "injuries" exceed the insurance. I doubt they will but who knows. It's just a pain. Glad everyone is REALLY ok. Because she and my kid refused medical treatment at the scene. It wasn't until 4 days later that someone told her she could get at LEAST $10K. My insurance company said her lawyer and doctor are notorious for milking the system.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Don't feel bad. Day after I got my jk, a rock hit my windshield. Then I watched the crack slowly grow
Old 09-27-2014, 10:28 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Well, buy vehicle, for example lets say it cost 50k, drive off lot, get T boned at the first light, mind you you have insurance, but your vehicle is obliterated, you walk away, but the 50k vehicle is gone. Insurance company gives you a check for 46,750. Thats right, you made it to the first light and it lost nearly 4 grand off what it cost ya, and it keeps going down at an equal rate over time = depreciation based on mileage the same as trade in value would. So even if you are paying it off in 3 years, you are still out that difference should something bad happen.

And at the very least should you come to a point where you need to park it in the path of an oncoming train because you bought a lemon you are still covered
Old 09-28-2014, 08:27 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Mountain Man Tim
Well, buy vehicle, for example lets say it cost 50k, drive off lot, get T boned at the first light, mind you you have insurance, but your vehicle is obliterated, you walk away, but the 50k vehicle is gone. Insurance company gives you a check for 46,750. Thats right, you made it to the first light and it lost nearly 4 grand off what it cost ya, and it keeps going down at an equal rate over time = depreciation based on mileage the same as trade in value would. So even if you are paying it off in 3 years, you are still out that difference should something bad happen. And at the very least should you come to a point where you need to park it in the path of an oncoming train because you bought a lemon you are still covered
It's a calculated risk. I have never experienced personally the need for gap insurance in my 30yrs of driving. None of my family members have ever had this happen. So I agree that gap insurance could be useful in some circumstances, the likelihood of needling it is a tiny percentage. Probably well below 1% over a lifetime.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

I bought mine in June. One windshield and my panted fenders are already dinged up. A mix of the highway and parking lots. Linex is in my near future.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:18 AM
JK Newbie

I didn't have my '12 JKUR a week and after having lunch walked out to find a Silverado parked on my front bumper. Waited for the guy to come out and he looked at me like I had done something wrong. He is lucky that it only took him a couple of minutes to show up, I was really thinking about leaning all over the side of his truck with my pocket knife clipped to the outside of my pocket.

All it did was to put a couple of small scratches in the plastic bumper and cause some white spots where it wrinkled, but damn!

Quick Reply: Son of a!!!! First dent