Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

sound deadener

Old 11-12-2012, 01:25 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by El Dorado
Love to see that somewhere in the real world An Israeli and and Egyptian have a common bond...A JEEP.
Why not.
Maybe Jeep needs to flood the Middle Eastern market!
Is that your plan to get Chrysler out of trouble?

I have used the peel and seal stuff for the inside of airplane cabins.... makes a giant difference on sound and heat/cold transfer. Might actually have been dynomat, but can't remember that far back. Used it on the walls, floor, roof and firewall...It will stick for at least the rest of your lifetime!
OK, I'll take a deeper look into Dynomat, or peel some off and have it analysed, the next time I fly
Old 11-12-2012, 01:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Hothead headliners have been excellent. Very good fit, nice product. I did have one panel start to sag a bit and the company sent me for free some more of the h.d. velcro fastening strips and there hasn't been any problems since then.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:35 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by navin r
My Hothead headliners have been excellent. Very good fit, nice product. I did have one panel start to sag a bit and the company sent me for free some more of the h.d. velcro fastening strips and there hasn't been any problems since then.
Did you remove the top to install it ?
Old 11-12-2012, 03:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

No they fit right in; highly reccomended and I have no relationship w/ the Hothead people.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey Navin, I already have the hotheads, what would you recommend to reduce additional road noise? door panels, etc.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:42 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by husker_fan
Hey Navin, I already have the hotheads, what would you recommend to reduce additional road noise? door panels, etc.
I suggest reading the thread.
Posts 7, 10, 18 by desertbuzz are particularly helpful as he's professionally involved with sound proofing.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The love for Jeeps knows no boundaries ... Be it political, religious, racial or else ... They have no place here

For those who don't know it, Egypt and Israel have been on the forefront of the Jeep world since the early 70's if not more.
Kaiser, AMC and Chrysler have kept on developing models primarily for military use in assembly plants both in Egypt (AAV) and in Israel (Storm). Some models like the military long wheel base TJ ... have resulted in the launch of the TJL on the US market.
The mil spec JK known as the J8 was assembled @ AAV and launched here in 2009 and subsequently American Expedition Vehicles (AEV) struck a deal with Chrysler to assemble a limited number of units and sell them on the US market.

That's all for the Israeli / Egyptian historical parenthesis

Back to the sound proofing topic

As I had said before, different sounds are made of different frequencies. And there is not one material that is ideal across all frequencies.
In general lower frequency sounds need more like something heavy and dense to block it (in that case called a "sound deadener").
In terms of efficiency, lead works best but is totally not practical ... just imagine the added weight of paneling your car with sheets of lead ... LOOL ...Simply ridiculous. (but in other industrial applications it is highly revered).
Hence the use of bitumen based sheets (see example given in prior post).

Higher pitched sounds have frequencies that travel farther and a simple sound deadener would not be enough. They need a material that would absorb those frequencies, dissipate them and ultimately muffle them. For that one of the most suitable and effective materials is what is commonly used in AC and water chillers pipe insulation. It is a closed cell elastomeric foam that comes in tubes or sheets of various thicknesses, some os it even with a self adhesive back.
You may have come across the tube variety on split units Air Conditioning pipes. As much as it is effective in insulating temperature it is great in its' sound absorbing properties (You will find thick layers of it inside the doors of Mercedes).

In my region it is sold under the brand ARMAFLEX ... but in the USA Google a company called ARMACELL

In the Jeep I have used both bitumen based sheets and the closed cell elastomeric foam sheets (Armaflex) inside the door on the outer door skin and behind the dash (firewall).

For the hardtop a solution like hotheads is good but could be improved on by adding a layer of Armaflex (which is what I did when I custom made my old YJ hardtop lining... and now working on one for my JK.

I hope all this yapping has been of some help to you.

Cheers and Shalom
Old 11-13-2012, 08:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Did not mean it to be political at all...... Thanks for your local Jeep history and also for the insulation info.... great stuff
Old 11-13-2012, 08:54 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by desertbuzz
The love for Jeeps knows no boundaries ... Be it political, religious, racial or else ... They have no place here

For those who don't know it, Egypt and Israel have been on the forefront of the Jeep world since the early 70's if not more.
Kaiser, AMC and Chrysler have kept on developing models primarily for military use in assembly plants both in Egypt (AAV) and in Israel (Storm). Some models like the military long wheel base TJ ... have resulted in the launch of the TJL on the US market.
The mil spec JK known as the J8 was assembled @ AAV and launched here in 2009 and subsequently American Expedition Vehicles (AEV) struck a deal with Chrysler to assemble a limited number of units and sell them on the US market.

That's all for the Israeli / Egyptian historical parenthesis
There's a lot to say about the Jeep history in this region…

I'll just add 2 or 3 remarks –
Our neighbor Jordan missed all the fun… they were stuck with British Land Rover Defenders…
There're much fewer Jeeps in the Israeli military, most of them were replaced with the Hummer H-1. Jeeps are used by the Border Police etc'.
Currently, the J8 is made in Israel on a Chrysler frame, while the body and special adaptations are designed & made here. It unfortunately has LEAF rear springs…

Back to the sound proofing topic

As I had said before, different sounds are made of different frequencies. And there is not one material that is ideal across all frequencies.
In general lower frequency sounds need more like something heavy and dense to block it (in that case called a "sound deadener").
In terms of efficiency, lead works best but is totally not practical ... just imagine the added weight of paneling your car with sheets of lead ... LOOL ...Simply ridiculous. (but in other industrial applications it is highly revered).
Hence the use of bitumen based sheets (see example given in prior post).

Higher pitched sounds have frequencies that travel farther and a simple sound deadener would not be enough. They need a material that would absorb those frequencies, dissipate them and ultimately muffle them. For that one of the most suitable and effective materials is what is commonly used in AC and water chillers pipe insulation. It is a closed cell elastomeric foam that comes in tubes or sheets of various thicknesses, some os it even with a self adhesive back.
You may have come across the tube variety on split units Air Conditioning pipes. As much as it is effective in insulating temperature it is great in its' sound absorbing properties (You will find thick layers of it inside the doors of Mercedes).

In my region it is sold under the brand ARMAFLEX ... but in the USA Google a company called ARMACELL

In the Jeep I have used both bitumen based sheets and the closed cell elastomeric foam sheets (Armaflex) inside the door on the outer door skin and behind the dash (firewall).

For the hardtop a solution like hotheads is good but could be improved on by adding a layer of Armaflex (which is what I did when I custom made my old YJ hardtop lining... and now working on one for my JK.
Sound insulation materials also insulate heat (not necessarily the other way around), so using sound insulation "gets two birds with one stone".

What would you use to glue a layer of Armacell to the hothead and the top - and make it all stick in place for good?

If the purpose is heat insulating the top, I'd add a layer of Emergency Blanket – very thin Mylar, silver side facing the top. It reflects heat like a mirror reflects light.
I'm just not sure how to glue the Mylar between the hothead and the Jeep top.

I hope all this yapping has been of some help to you.

Cheers and Shalom
Yes, you are helpful, thanks!

Salam Aleicum

And, BTW, the initials of your usermane – desert-buzz – perfectly fit this thread: dB…

Last edited by GJeep; 11-14-2012 at 12:40 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Could I go a relatively in-expensive route and put about a 1'x1" sheet inside each door and have a noticeable difference in road noise?

I'm not looking to spend too much money

Quick Reply: sound deadener