Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Specs for New 'Black Bear Edition' Wrangler Should Please Enthusiasts

Old 07-31-2015, 07:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Willy's came with more of this things optional equipment for less, plus a limited slip.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My '07 X had better offroad equipment than what they list.

A bunch of graphics and some cheesy "light guards" that actually help tear the whole taillight assembly off the Jeep at the first sign of rocks? No thanks.

How about you really do Black Bear justice and bring back the 4.10 gearing option on X (sport) models, and at least give it the Rubi tires!
Old 08-02-2015, 11:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

really? black bear needs 4.10s at least.. or maybe the 4:1 Xfer case and D44's front / rear.. but then I guess you just buy a Rubi...

im not sure how this differs at all from a regular sport in anything other than looks??
-Christopher
Old 08-03-2015, 07:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Not a fan. Appearance packages <> offroad capability.

Last edited by jk_sea; 08-03-2015 at 08:23 AM.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:05 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

I wonder what will happen to the "Black Bear" edition if Sheriff Masters has his way ...

Black Bear Pass Facing Possible Closure - WesternSlopeNow - News, Weather, Sports for Grand Junction | Montrose | Glenwood Springs
Old 08-03-2015, 10:38 AM
JK Newbie

"All hat, no cattle." Sure, the Sport is a capable Jeep, but the Black Bear edition is no more capable, disparaging the reputation of that trail. I guess Jeep is saying that there is no reason to buy anything special to 'wheel on the "Bear." I can see why you wouldn't want e-lockers engaged on the switchbacks a la Rubicon, but can't the engineers come up with anything useful? We sure can--HD Dana 44 front and rear axles with conventional posi in the back one, etc. Definitely 4.10s with the 4:1 transfer case, thicker differential covers. How about a front and rear bumper already set up for winches, with suspension to accommodate them, if not including them also? What do we see next--a Fiat 500 Black Bear edition, maybe?
Old 08-04-2015, 05:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

perhaps its all just sales.. after all, how many JK's in general are sold that never wheel (im one of them admittedly).. and im ordering a Rubicon because the options I want line up with what im going for as opposed to sport or sahara..

my guess is that many of these special editions are sold because they are "special edition"....

it was a KNOWN fact from used car days that if a salesperson had 2 identical cars.. yet one had a $2 "Limited edition" sticker on it.. that one would sell every time quicker than the one next to it....

Look at chevy and the 'Z71' off-road package... unless you wheel your truck it gains you nothing... but they sell a gazillion of them..

-Christopher
Old 08-05-2015, 05:32 AM
JK Newbie

Lipstick
Old 08-08-2015, 06:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Special Editions

Jeep makes special editions because they sell so well.
All 4x4 JKs are Trail Rated. So SEDs or not they are good off road vehicles. They used to have a pretty good standard for what qualified a vehicle for the TR until Fiat dumbed it down for the Renegade.
The eye wash is not what drives me crazy about new JKs, in fact the SEDs are interesting to look at. Its the fact that there doesn't seem to be an upper limit to how much Jeep can charge for the JK. People will buy it or lease it.
Old 08-08-2015, 01:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Special edition with standard gearing and mostly cosmetic additions is pretty weak at best.

Quick Reply: Specs for New 'Black Bear Edition' Wrangler Should Please Enthusiasts