Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

steering wheel wobble

Old 11-25-2012, 06:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering wheel wobble

im new too owning a jeep and am not familiar yet with working on them but about 4-5 weeks ago i drove trew a mud pit burying the jeep up the the nerf bars and she did awesome but ever since wen i hit about 50 mph i get a little wobble in my steering wheel and its starting too scare me what would cause this if it makes a difference i herd a loud pop while i was driving threw it

help please
Old 11-25-2012, 06:53 PM
JK Freak

Check the inside of your wheels for mud, if you find any, clean it all out. You might have also knocked off a wheel weight, might need a re-balance.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:11 PM
JK Newbie

i dushed the entire under carriage of mud including wheels and i need to get them balanced and rotated anyway so ill see but it dosent feel like its in the wheels cause it dosent effect my left too right at all its just a slight wobble in the steering wheel
Old 11-26-2012, 06:41 AM
JK Junkie

As already stated get your wheels balanced & rotated, check the boots on all your tie rod ends and check the torque on all steering/front suspension components. After all that and you still have it, get an alignment done and then recheck the torque on everything.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:59 PM
JK Newbie

will do scouter thanks
Old 11-27-2012, 04:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

We don't have rocks anywhere close to here so our wheeling consists of mudding. I noticed after the very first time I took mine out that I can grab my steering wheel now and shake it back and forth. The whole column don't move, just the wheel. I could not do that before and its not "bad" but there's some play there that was not there before the trip. I asked the guys I went out with and none of them really had a logical explanation. It still does it but has never gotten worse.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by backwoodjk
Check the inside of your wheels for mud, if you find any, clean it all out. You might have also knocked off a wheel weight, might need a re-balance.
X2. It's one or the other

Quick Reply: steering wheel wobble