Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Stressed about Jeep purchase I made... advice very much appreciated

Old 08-17-2014, 07:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stressed about Jeep purchase I made... advice very much appreciated

Hi all,

I'll try to keep this brief and not run on too long. Also, sorry if this isn't the right place for this thread...

In Spring of of 2013, I started looking for my first Jeep. At the time I thought for sure I'd buy a decent TJ or original JK without too many miles on it, hopefully paying cash.

I'm a very picky person however, and after many months of searching, couldn't find one that was just what I wanted, and I was getting restless. I started looking into newer model JKs, and long story short, come December, decided I'd had enough, and convinced myself to simply buy a new one so I could have everything I wanted. Don't get me wrong, there are lots of pros to going new... no history of bad treatment, warranty, etc.

I ended up with a brand new '14 2-door Sport, and have absolutely loved it. It got me through the Polar Vortex winter and has been a blast in the Summer and a joy to drive.

However, I've always had a feeling deep down that I didn't do exactly what I wanted. Basically for three different reasons: a) I'm not a fan of the whole dealership experience. I'm not a car buying expert by any means and have never been fully happy and confident in my dealings with them, b) I'm 23 and may have some other large purchases coming up, so the thought that I could have gotten one and already paid for it makes me wonder what on earth I was thinking going on a 4-year payment plan, and c) I think I just liked the idea of getting an older Jeep, one with some history and character.

So now as I peruse AutoTrader, and see some even like 2010's and 2011's that would have been much much easier on the wallet and still just as capable and enjoyable, I'm of course naturally filled with buyer's remorse.

I realize that this is all my fault, and with all due respect, I'm not looking to be lectured on here. I'm also very aware of the fact that as soon as I drove it off the lot, it took a huge hit in its value. However, I also know how well they keep their value. And it is still less than a year old and only has like 8000 kilometres on it, so it's worth something. So, if I'm willing to bite the bullet a little bit, is there any course of action I could take to possibly end up with something I'd be happier with in the long run? Because I may have this vehicle for a number of years. If not, could you please tell me more about the pros of going new so I can feel better about it lol?

Thanks in advance if anyone can take the time to help me with this. And sorry if I sound like an idiot or someone who's not grateful for the awesome vehicle I have.

Kurt
Old 08-17-2014, 07:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was young too when I bought a new vehicle too. Im 32 now. You may be in debt for 4 years but at the end your new jeep will be officially yours and you will be the first person put your own character in it. At the end of loan your credit will be alot better too especially if you never made late payment.

I would never buy a new vehicle again I did at 21yo and learned from that.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by klucas31
Hi all,

I'll try to keep this brief and not run on too long. Also, sorry if this isn't the right place for this thread...

In Spring of of 2013, I started looking for my first Jeep. At the time I thought for sure I'd buy a decent TJ or original JK without too many miles on it, hopefully paying cash.

I'm a very picky person however, and after many months of searching, couldn't find one that was just what I wanted, and I was getting restless. I started looking into newer model JKs, and long story short, come December, decided I'd had enough, and convinced myself to simply buy a new one so I could have everything I wanted. Don't get me wrong, there are lots of pros to going new... no history of bad treatment, warranty, etc.

I ended up with a brand new '14 2-door Sport, and have absolutely loved it. It got me through the Polar Vortex winter and has been a blast in the Summer and a joy to drive.
Buyers remorse is nothing new. The part in red says it all. If you're in love with the vehicle, that's all that matters.

As for buying new you have a warranty and you know you didn't buy a vehicle that may have been mechanically neglected or beat on by the previous owner....I've seen some vehicles that were cosmetically beautiful, but the drivetrain was for sh*t. Why? Because the owner loved waxing and primming the vehicle but never did anything under the hood (no oil/fluid changes, grease, etc...).
Old 08-17-2014, 07:34 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Have you compared driving a 3.6 and 3.8? Big difference, and especially so if you have the auto. Plus you have a warranty to take care of most things for a while. Of course, that warranty may limit what you choose to do mod wise and how you use the Jeep. At this point, do the numbers work to give you a small profit? Does that include the possible, but very likely $200 for a new battery, $75 for a cracked exhaust manifold, $300 for new unit bearings, $200 for new ball joints--and add a few thousand for labor costs if you don't have the tools, time, skills or inclination to do the work yourself?
Old 08-17-2014, 09:35 AM
JK Freak

Not knowing the numbers, it's hard to give sound advice. It sounds likely it's purely a question of dollars.

28 now, bought my stripped 2door at 23. First thing I ever financed, got an awful rate of 5%, but it motivated me to complete the loan in 24 months. I held onto it for 5 years and 50k miles; doing tasteful mods along the way, doing all the work myself. Last week I sold it for only 20% off the original MSRP. I now am at a point where I can afford my dream 2015 4door Rubi, at 1.4%

Life is short, as you get older you will find free time becomes almost as scarce than cash. When you factor in cost of ownership, you could have done a hell of a lot worse.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:46 AM
JK Newbie

I usually buy new and personally like to break in a vehicle on my terms. Enjoy having a warranty and that new 3.6. You are young and 4 years ain't all that long, believe me. I'm 43 and have bought 6 new and 1 pre owned since 21 and had buyers remorse on every single one of them and time goes by and the end of that note comes around - r
Old 08-17-2014, 01:00 PM
JK Newbie

29 here, and my JK is the fourth new vehicle I have bought. I prefer to know exactly how it's been treated if I'm going to spend a considerable amount of money. Never had buyers remorse when purchasing a new vehicle. Maintenance is important, and most people just don't do it,I don't want someone else's mistreated machine.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:09 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Have you compared driving a 3.6 and 3.8? Big difference, and especially so if you have the auto. Plus you have a warranty to take care of most things for a while. Of course, that warranty may limit what you choose to do mod wise and how you use the Jeep. At this point, do the numbers work to give you a small profit? Does that include the possible, but very likely $200 for a new battery, $75 for a cracked exhaust manifold, $300 for new unit bearings, $200 for new ball joints--and add a few thousand for labor costs if you don't have the tools, time, skills or inclination to do the work yourself?
$200 for battery? Didn't spend near that for my new one. A battery from auto zone or other local parts store works just fine.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:20 PM
JK Junkie

You could always search for certified used. Typically a better inspection is done and will still come with warrabty.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Unless you have a horrible interest rate, and or you're having a hard time paying the bills I wouldn't step down to something else. You'll get raped on a CPO or any used(new) car with a trade (that's not paid off), unless you're buying private party and selling your Jeep outright.

Have you thought about refinancing?

Quick Reply: Stressed about Jeep purchase I made... advice very much appreciated