Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Teraflex lift and beach riding

Old 07-05-2013, 12:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Teraflex lift and beach riding

Hello all, I am interested in getting a lift that is both off road and on road friendly. I have done research and have decided to go with a teraflex system. I am debating now between the 2.5 inch budget boost, the 2.5 inch suspension lift, or. 3 inch suspension lift. I will primarily be going i sand at the OBX of North Carolina, but will also be going into the mountains for camping, etc. no crazy rock crawling or anything like that. I am looking to run 35 inch tires on a 17 inch wheel. I have a 2012 JKU Oscar Mike. Now here are my questions:

1) how much overall lift will I gain with either the 2.5 BB/suspension lift or the 3 inch lift w/ 35 inch tires.

2) with either of these setup a will I have to do anything more than just get the lift and tires installed? ie driveshaft, etc

3) I do have the money to get the suspension lift over the budget boost, should I wipe the budget boost from my options? Or will that suffice for my needs

4) why do some lifts have shocks and other components and others don't.

I am sure more questions will arise. What brought them all on was that 18 minute teraflex video ( very informative btw). There are various types of lifts for all the sizes. And I don't really know what they all mean.

Thanks in advance for the help and patience!
Old 07-05-2013, 12:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just put a TF 2.5 coil lift with Bilstein's on my 2dr last week, and will be doing the same on my wifes 2dr. Love the ride, I feel like it's truly smoother than the stock ride. I had the same goals in mind as you, beach cruising, trails, maybe a little mud, and getting to the good fishing spots. I couldn't be happier with my decision. I did add an adjustable front trackbar and exhaust spacers (2013 thing), and I plan on getting a rear adjustable trackbar, but besides that, I don't look into getting driveshafts or control arms for it works grat like it is. I gained about 3-1/2" front and 2-1/2" rear

Edit: I went w/ 315/70/17 Duratracs on my stock Rubi rims....I did have to use spacers though
Old 07-05-2013, 12:49 PM
JK Newbie

What does the adjustable track at do for you? Is that in the kit you got? Thanks for the great info

Also what was the actual lift you got out of that? I hear a lot if the lifts are actually a little higher than advertised. Depending I what your running.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HarleyDad09
What does the adjustable track at do for you? Is that in the kit you got? Thanks for the great info

Also what was the actual lift you got out of that? I hear a lot if the lifts are actually a little higher than advertised. Depending I what your running.
The trackbar recenters the axle under the Jeep. It didn't come with the kit I bought, it was a separate item. I did get more lift than advertised, but from what I heard over time the coils can sag and I guess will reach the final advertised height.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xrlhfooc-Xc&feature=player_detailpage
Old 07-06-2013, 02:37 AM
JK Freak

I wheel at an off road park 3 times a year, camp a lot. And drive on a beach a few times a week. For me the bb 2.5 from Teraflex fit my needs. It was cheap. Came with the track bar bracket to rev enter the rear. I didn't need the heavier duty springs because I'm not getting steel bumpers. If u plan on bumpers then get the kit with springs. As for shocks I wasn't plan on buying them. But I am now looking into billstiens (butchered the name) I had them on my GC and loved them. I run a true 33 inch tire and I'm pretty sure 35's would not rub as long as I had the backspacing and the pinch seam cut.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:31 AM
JK Newbie

Skippy, do you have pics?
Old 07-06-2013, 04:39 AM
JK Junkie

Welcome to the forum.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:22 AM
JK Newbie

Dodgeman do you have any pics?
Old 07-06-2013, 07:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HarleyDad09
Dodgeman do you have any pics?
Click the link in my sig for my build log, tons of pics in there. I will be taking some more this weekend too, installing a few new mods
Old 07-06-2013, 08:44 AM
JK Junkie

Check out the Rock Krawler 2.5 kits also, they're a little more complete and it'll be plenty for what you need. I live just south of you and the 5100 bilstein's are great on the beach and our terrible highways here.

If you need help with an install just reach out......I don't do welding but I've got experience with everything else on the lift and tires.

Quick Reply: Teraflex lift and beach riding