Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

test drove an unlimited sport but still not sure..

Old 12-13-2012, 06:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default test drove an unlimited sport but still not sure..

I had to drop off my denali for some repair work last night so I decided to overnight test drive an unlimited sport. I have a few questions for the experienced though. We drove it with top completely off and it seemed pretty quiet inside the cab. Are the 07-10 louder or are the claims that you cant carry on a conversation with top off just picky? Im gonna have about 8k set aside to upgrade anything that needs to be upgraded... Im leaning towards a higher mileage 07-08 put on a 2"lift 33's and call it good for now but I do like the sound level in the 2012.. I can take an 07 for test but it wont be completely topless so I cant compare. Is there actually a difference in thetwo other than looks? Not talking about drivetrain I know the differences there
Old 12-13-2012, 06:16 AM
JK Junkie

With the doors on the vehicle it is not super loud with the tops off. Also, do jeep on mind the 2007-2011 have a different engine with less horsepower than the 12's+. Also the only time the vehicle can be super loud is on the interstate other than that its great.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:36 AM
JK Junkie

Your speed and the tires are the biggest issue. If you plan to lift it and put more agressive tires on it, expect it to be considerably louder on the highway. It you leave it with AT's then a conversation is not issue at highway speeds, but expect to have to raise your voice with MT's. Around town though you should have no issues.

In any case there will be little, if any, noise difference in the early JK's to the more current ones.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:30 AM
JK Newbie

If you get an older JK, you're passing up on a free 90 HP....I have an older one and enjoy it, but if I had a choice I would just go with the new Pentastar and mod it.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:16 PM
JK Junkie

The Pentastar is the way to go.

Quick Reply: test drove an unlimited sport but still not sure..