Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Thought Provoking - 9-Speed ZF automatic for Chrysler

Old 01-16-2013, 01:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Thought Provoking - 9-Speed ZF automatic for Chrysler

January 15, 2013 - Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne acknowledged to reporters at the Detroit Auto Show that a new ZF-supplied 9-speed automatic transmission will go into Jeep’s upcoming D-segment SUV. He further stated “We are working diligently now to expand the powertrain offerings in the C-segment. You will see a resolution to this issue when we launch the Liberty successor later this year, because that car will be the first beneficiary of the 9-speed transmission."

9-speed automatic? Thought 8 is enough…

Grand Cherokee was discussed in the same report, as was Dodge Dart. Jeep Wrangler was not mentioned in the report by wardsauto.com.

But it's in the Chrysler family now, and with all those gears how close could Chrysler be to looking at even smaller displacement engines ... for the Wrangler ?? Diesels ??

Wait, wait... how about a continuously variable transmission (CVT)? Makes you think a bit !
Old 01-16-2013, 02:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I "heard" thatr the CVT is being discontinued because it didn't generate the mileage figures needed It will be replaced by the 6/8/9 speed autos. Look for the next V6 to be a 3.2 turbo. Smaller displacement direct injection turbo
Old 01-16-2013, 03:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a whole lot more expense and complexity in a planetary gear automatic with so many moving parts and operating actuators. But the extra gears will help mfrs meet fuel economy requirements by allowing smaller more sophisticated engines. Plus people tend to prefer the more positive "feel" of gears compared to CVTs.
That said, CVTs are getting much, much better and are far more economical to produce. The devil is in the details of the software and logic that make the engine and CVT match each other's operating characteristics. Done properly it can be hard to tell a great CVT from a conventional automatic.
IMO - It's just a riot to think of a CVT in a Jeep Wrangler! Odd sense of humor I have though...
Old 01-17-2013, 03:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More gears will be needed as they make smaller engines with narrow power bands. Just give me a 5 speed with a 3 speed aux low,direct,and overdrive.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rvator
More gears will be needed as they make smaller engines with narrow power bands. Just give me a 5 speed with a 3 speed aux low,direct,and overdrive.
Where do you get this narrow power band theory? VVT and variable intakes give modern engines a much wider power band than anemic old engines. The 3.6L out torques the 4.0L at 1500 rpm and up AND makes 100 more HP and weighs 200 lbs less. I do appreciate a good manual transmission and a transfer case stick out of the floor but I'll gladly accept VVT and the variable intake.

Quick Reply: Thought Provoking - 9-Speed ZF automatic for Chrysler