Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Time to put the hardtop on. Worst time of the year. :(

Old 09-29-2012, 01:45 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to put the hardtop on. Worst time of the year. :(

Raining, getting cold. Neatly packing up the soft top is difficult when the temps are below 50* - and it is coming real soon. Already gotten light frost.

If I do it soon, I can hose all that accumulated crap that has built up inside, wait and it is a much bigger task - as in it involves effort. Proud to say that this summer, I only zipped the windows on ONE TIME. YES! Open air since late April, but for 2 days!

Probably have to pack up the soft top this week, and drop on the hard top. I have done so much sound damping/isolation (doors, hard top, floors, wheel wells, etc) that it is kinda nice in a way to have a tomb like silence .... I guess.

Two plus sides though. #1 - because I have gotten it so quiet, and the JK has virtually no road feedback - my wife refuses to drive it when the hard top is on. So I don't even have to deal with her (very occasional) requests to do so. #2) THE BIG ONE - this is the ONE time of year when she REALLY understands my love of the JK. I usually drive when we go anywhere together, and when the hard top goes back on - she just understand that "top on" SUCKS!

Short lived, by Thanksgiving it will again be "my car", but right after top on (and top off to a lesser degree) I hear her say "I want a Jeep", or "this sucks, I want the top down" - music to my ears.

Again - short lived. Next project is underbody LED light strips, and I am SURE that she is gonna be unhappy at the "excessive" time I spend messing around with my Jeep. But next week, for a bit, she will understand.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:51 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's funny, for me it was time to put on the soft top. Summer in Vegas I can't put the top down when it is 115+ so I run the hard top. It finally got cool enough to go topless/doorless again.

It only lasts a few weeks then it gets cold here but for now I have the soft top on.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:03 AM
JK Newbie

It's the same here in Phoenix. I just put the soft top on, but its been down all week since the temps are FINALLY below 100. Now I got 8-9 months of soft top �� ok just looked at the weather. Guess its going back up by Monday as it's supposed to be 106

Last edited by 3Lug; 09-29-2012 at 02:11 AM.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hardtop going on this weekend for me. Sad day. But I do like the fall weather with the freedom top panels out.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I solved that hard top problem. I did not buy one! Now I never have to get depressed! Just cold and wet...

Old 09-29-2012, 02:33 PM
JK Super Freak

i was going to put mine back on this weekend but I'm hoping for one more nice day to go pumpkin/apple picking with my girlfriend with the top off.. btw any good diy hard top insulating/ sound dampening techniques that aren't an eyesore?
Old 09-29-2012, 06:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

It'll be 94 in LA tomorrow
Old 09-29-2012, 07:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

It'll be 94 in LA tomorrow
Old 09-29-2012, 09:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yea but u live in California.... rather have hardtop on.....hehe
Old 09-29-2012, 10:52 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by notsoricer
i was going to put mine back on this weekend but I'm hoping for one more nice day to go pumpkin/apple picking with my girlfriend with the top off.. btw any good diy hard top insulating/ sound dampening techniques that aren't an eyesore?
DIY meaning installation or the product itself?

I installed everything myself - but it was all commercial product. Second Skin CLD in the doors, hatch, and wheel wells. Bed liner topped with undercoat over the liner, which was over the CLD. Bed liner, Monstaliner over the floor - 4 coats, close to 3/8" thick on the four foot wells. Soundcoat panels on the hardtop. Strategic foam injected into some rattle areas and open spaces.

If you just wanted to do the hardtop, get the Soundcoat panels. They are pricy, but they look like they could be factory if you didn't know better. Big help on the noise (not as much as door damping) and a HUUUGE help on the temperature.

Driving at highways speeds around 8-9k feet and in the negatives (maybe -5?) I got ice forming on the inside of the top. But once was enough. LOL

If your main concern is heat, just buy the panels - you won't regret it. They perform better all around than any DIY product unless you buy the same type of material - and that is very expensive.

Quick Reply: Time to put the hardtop on. Worst time of the year. :(