Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Tips on removing doors

Old 06-11-2013, 06:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips on removing doors

So I finally got some replacement mirrors and plan on taking the doors off of my 2012 Wrangler Sport for the first time. Any tips on how to do this easily? Also, any tips on storing the doors? How difficult is it to get them off and back on? Thanks in advanced.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:55 PM
JK Freak

That new they should come off easily. I know my '13 slipped right off.

What I do is have the windows down and stand on the inside of the door. Left hand through the window and on the door handle. Right hand under the door.

Pull up and enjoy
Old 06-11-2013, 07:14 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My front passenger is always a pain in the @$$ to take off I have to pull up and wiggle a little, but my jeep is a 07 and from the looks of it, when I bought it the doors had never came off or the top but its should be easy! Just like he explained it!
Old 06-11-2013, 07:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/spon...emoval-275418/
Old 06-11-2013, 07:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jeek.OlllllllO
My front passenger is always a pain in the @$$ to take off I have to pull up and wiggle a little, but my jeep is a 07 and from the looks of it, when I bought it the doors had never came off or the top but its should be easy! Just like he explained it!
Pick up a tube of white lithium grease. Every time you take your doors off, address any dirt, rust, or corrosion and grease your mounts and door mount posts before putting your doors back on. Granted, mine is a 2013, but I could sneeze and blow my doors off. They're that trouble free.

To the OP, tips or tricks will probably depend on your physical strength and size. It might take you a few doorless sessions before you find out what works best for you. However, I recommend you following the suggestion a gave Jeek above for starters. A few minutes proactive work can save you trouble later on.

Also, always disconnect your wiring harness before releasing the limiting strap. Since your doors will swing completely forward, you don't want to damage your wiring. Watch your doors after releasing that strap because, like I said, they're free to swing forward and can bang up against the body of your Jeep.

Some people have made door mounts so that they can hang their doors on the wall as if they're on the Jeep. I have space to lay down pieces of cardboard on my garage floor and I lean my doors up against the wall.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:50 PM
JK Newbie

As far as storage ...... Some free wood and used carpet from craigslist, and a little bit of time. Not the prettiest, but it gets the job done

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2376298828.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	467160
Old 06-11-2013, 08:21 PM
JK Jedi

This is how I store my doors lol
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130611_212154.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	467165  
Old 06-11-2013, 09:19 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Terry Hesticles

Pick up a tube of white lithium grease. Every time you take your doors off, address any dirt, rust, or corrosion and grease your mounts and door mount posts before putting your doors back on. Granted, mine is a 2013, but I could sneeze and blow my doors off. They're that trouble free.
I did the same and as you said they slip right off. I pulled a friends '07 off for the first time and they were tighter but still not too bad. I will grease her's as well before I put them back on.

BTW, I also have no plans on putting the bottom nut back on, until maybe the winter. So if you are going to be doing it often just leave them off. It's fine.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:23 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by idiotec

I did the same and as you said they slip right off. I pulled a friends '07 off for the first time and they were tighter but still not too bad. I will grease her's as well before I put them back on.

BTW, I also have no plans on putting the bottom nut back on, until maybe the winter. So if you are going to be doing it often just leave them off. It's fine.
Yeah I take mine off all summer and put them when the rain coming here in socal
Old 06-11-2013, 11:09 PM
JK Newbie

I always hear that doors slide right off. Never had the luxury of mine being that easy. Had to take the hinges off then fight like a madman to get them off the first time (it's an 07). I used white lithium, still uncooperative then started using antiseize. Still a b#$ch but better. Now it only takes 2 beers and 10 swear words.

So to all those who have trouble taking the doors off, your not alone.

But the hassle is worth it when u go topless and doorless.

Quick Reply: Tips on removing doors