Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

X or Rubicon? Take a look, advice wanted

Old 08-24-2008, 02:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X or Rubicon? Take a look, advice wanted

Hi everyone, im about to buy a 4-door JK and I am still on the fence about an X or Rubicon model. My dealer has both of them in the color I want so its just down to a decision.

My plans for using this jeep will be general utility as well as some offroad trips and backpacking/rockclimbing trips and such (nothing to crazy) in terms of offroading. I am also going to lift 3-4in and use 35" tires, replace both bumbers, add a roof rack, new wheels, and re-gear to 4.56 or 4.88 fairly quickly. Plus some little mods here and there (new fenders and such).

Would putting these mods on an X-model be sufficient enough for what I want to use it for, and is there any big differnce between the Rubicon and X other than the gearing and dana 44 on the front. Im just thinking I could save $10,000 going with the stock X and upgrading to a nice suspension, gearing, and some extra mods and stuff and still be under what the Rubicon cost. Anyone think that I will regret going with the X model and save some money for mods after I build it up to what I want it to be?

Thanks for any input, by the way love the forums and website, has really inspired me.

Red
Old 08-24-2008, 02:24 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

with a rubicon, you get more than the 4.10 gears and dana 44's but rather, you get the 4:1 low range and lockers. this alone would be reason enough for me to go with the rubicon. and, for your purposes, you might not even feel the need to regear even though you will be getting 35" tires. i think you will find that the 4.10s will do the job well enough
Old 08-24-2008, 02:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Since you mentioned rock crawling, the Rubi might be a good option for you.

Not to say the X won't work, but the Rubi will get you out doing more sooner.

Have fun with the decision. Alot of us face the same one when we're lookin' for our Jeep.

I know I probably didn't help much, but this has been discussed here many times over. Seek and ye shall find.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think he meant rock climbing? as in person not vehicle. but anyways in 05 had the choice rubicon unlimited or sport unlimited decided to save money and get the sport. needless to say I now have a rubi
Old 08-24-2008, 02:39 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jeeperjkj
Since you mentioned rock crawling, the Rubi might be a good option for you.

Not to say the X won't work, but the Rubi will get you out doing more sooner.

Have fun with the decision. Alot of us face the same one when we're lookin' for our Jeep.

I know I probably didn't help much, but this has been discussed here many times over. Seek and ye shall find.

I should clarify the rockclimbing as opposed to rock crawling, my fiance and me go rockclimbing alot and to get back to some of the good spots where the faces of cliffs are around TN/NC/SC we used to have to hike in (sometimes as much as 10 miles) cause my Camry cant even tackle a bumpy dirt road =) But getting this we can drive up to them. I actually don't plan on using this jeep for hardcore rock crawling as you would describe it.

Thanks for the quick replys it is helping!

Red
Old 08-24-2008, 03:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Do the X. It will get you where you need to go. Especially with the mods you are planning.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

I see more people on this board regretting not getting a rubicon, not vice versa.

So get a Sahara.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was told by alot of people to go with 5.13 gears with that much lift and 35" tires,it is going to be started tomorrow and i should have it back next week,wednesday or thursday,it is taking that long because i am also have lift and other stuff put on,personally if money is no issue for you then get the rubicon . Goodluck
Old 08-24-2008, 06:19 PM
JK Super Freak

can't ever go wrong with the rubicon.....its nice to know you have the top of the line rig under you right away. but if money is any issue then there is certianly nothing wrong with the x.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:42 PM
JK Super Freak

All the extras that are on the Rubicon will be included in your vehicle payments and you can use it off road right away. Try it out for awhile, it is a very capable vehicle, and then add mods as you feel you need them at your leisure. My vote is for the Rubicon. As you can see we have already made that decision and have never regretted it.

Quick Reply: X or Rubicon? Take a look, advice wanted