Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tire safety !!WATCH MAY SAVE YOUR LIFE!!

Get educated on tires and safety worth the 4 mins to watch ...may save your life by knowing what your buying !!!

http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerIndex?id=4826897

Video loads with advertisment first then it will start

Enjoy

Tony
    2008 Sahara Unlimited
    Steel Blue
    4 Spd auto
    3.73 gears
    Mopar Billet Fuel door
    Dual Tops
    Chrome licence Plate cover
    Air conditioning
    Power windows
    Side air bags

JK Newbie

Default Holy Shit!

That's some scary stuff there...

I just went out and checked the Jeep and the wifes car and the oldest one I can find is my spare on the Jeep. IT looks like it's 20 years old, but is only 3. The tires on the Jeep are 0808 (8th week of 08) and the wifes car are 4707 (47th week of 07), so we are good. But that's scary shiat.

This link doesn't work......

Try this one.

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=5054607
    Last edited by DadsCJ; 08-23-2008 at 05:19 PM.
    KG4ZFC - 2 M
    2013 Sport 4 Door
    On 37's Nitto Trail Grappler, Warn Z-10 Winch, Bumpers, Auto
    Pearl Blue, CB
    2" OME HD Lift - Bilstein Shocks
    Rugged Ridge Snorkel
    4.56 With Truetrac's Front/Rear
    CERT - Ocala Jeep Club

This information is particularly important for motorhomes and large trailers, who are often running near the weight limit of the tire. It can be big trouble when a motorhome tire blows.

The general recommendation is that any motorhome tire over 6 years old needs to be replaced.
    "I'm not OCD, I'm CDO. It's like OCD, but in the correct alphabetical order."

Quote Originally Posted by mrktwatchr View Post
    Get educated on tires and safety worth the 4 mins to watch ...may save your life by knowing what your buying !!!

Enjoy

Tony
    Also saw a program ( trying to find ) that shows how UV rays break down a tire .. It claimed that tires which are not driven or moved should be covered so they dont dry out and crack .. (will keep looking )
    2008 Sahara Unlimited
    Steel Blue
    4 Spd auto
    3.73 gears
    Mopar Billet Fuel door
    Dual Tops
    Air conditioning
    Power windows
    Side air bags

Default How old are your tires? Tire safety

Enjoy

Tony
    2008 Sahara Unlimited
    Steel Blue
    4 Spd auto
    3.73 gears
    Mopar Billet Fuel door
    Dual Tops
    Air conditioning
    Power windows
    Side air bags

Quote Originally Posted by driley View Post
    This information is particularly important for motorhomes and large trailers, who are often running near the weight limit of the tire. It can be big trouble when a motorhome tire blows.

The general recommendation is that any motorhome tire over 6 years old needs to be replaced.
    I've a good friend who purchased new tires a year ago for his 26 foot fifth wheel trailer. One of those tires blew this spring, the tread separated from the carcass. It did quite a bit of damage to the trailer, luckily he didn't lose control and have a big wreck. We were talking about this date on tires thing at work one day so he went and checked the tires he bought. They were nine years old when he made the buy. He sent an e-mail to the manufacturer and told them he has a trailer that doesn't get a lot of miles but the tires are ten years old, should they be changed due to age. He got a reply direct from the manufacturer that after 6 years they definitely should be changed as they dry out and can separate after a number of years. He now has some ammo to go after the distributor and manufacturer to get his trailer damages paid for and get the remaining tires replaced. I'll post back here as the saga unfolds to let you all know what the outcome of this is. The real issue is CHECK THE AGE OF YOUR TIRES even if you just bought them.
    '07 JK 2 Door X Six Speed Soft Top Black Over Black
    1979 Yamaha GT-80
    1986 Yamaha Moto-4
    Kimber Custom Classic .45 ACP
    Adopt A Greyhound, Make A Fast Friend

Yeah, that has been posted on here a couple times, but still good info.
    2007 X (2 door)- Redrock, Auto, D44, 4.10's, Freedom Top, 17" Moab Wheels with 32" BFG M/Ts, Rubicon Rock Rails, Infinity speakers, Airaid intake.

Quote Originally Posted by GreytSilly View Post
    I've a good friend who purchased new tires a year ago for his 26 foot fifth wheel trailer. One of those tires blew this spring, the tread separated from the carcass. It did quite a bit of damage to the trailer, luckily he didn't lose control and have a big wreck. We were talking about this date on tires thing at work one day so he went and checked the tires he bought. They were nine years old when he made the buy. He sent an e-mail to the manufacturer and told them he has a trailer that doesn't get a lot of miles but the tires are ten years old, should they be changed due to age. He got a reply direct from the manufacturer that after 6 years they definitely should be changed as they dry out and can separate after a number of years. He now has some ammo to go after the distributor and manufacturer to get his trailer damages paid for and get the remaining tires replaced. I'll post back here as the saga unfolds to let you all know what the outcome of this is. The real issue is CHECK THE AGE OF YOUR TIRES even if you just bought them.
    Education is first and foremost .. we all take for granted things we buy everyday ... Most items will have a manufacturers date and the warranty is only good from that date (I have found this out a couple of times while trying to get warrenty 0.. so we should all take the few mins it takes to check the manufaturers dates and or expiration dates ... Stuff can sit on shelves in a back room for yrs waiting for you to buy it ....
    2008 Sahara Unlimited
    Steel Blue
    4 Spd auto
    3.73 gears
    Mopar Billet Fuel door
    Dual Tops
    Air conditioning
    Power windows
    Side air bags

Wow. I'm going out to check now.

You should add a poll to this thread so we get an idea of the average age of tires on our JKs...

js.

11. Default JK-Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast