Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Tire upgrade recommendations...

Old 10-08-2015, 01:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire upgrade recommendations...

I have a 2011 Sahara and want to upgrade my 28 inch tires to a more rugged tread like those found in Rubis or even more rugged. Any suggestions ( without changing tire diameter and size)? These must fit my existing wheels. I'm having a hard time finding these. Thanks!
Old 10-08-2015, 02:27 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Duratracs come is a variety of sizes. They are an AT, not an MT. Only you can tell if they're rugged looking enough.
Old 10-10-2015, 02:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

I currently have Duratracs and I would not recommend them. They are always misbalanced and I've had a couple places try to balance them. I've read a lot of reports online with people saying the same thing about them. So, it's a bit of a gamble buying Duratracs. You might get a good set. Or you might not.

I had BFG's before and will be going back to them once the Duratracs wear out.
Old 10-10-2015, 03:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tcjeepdriver
I have a 2011 Sahara and want to upgrade my 28 inch tires to a more rugged tread like those found in Rubis or even more rugged. Any suggestions ( without changing tire diameter and size)? These must fit my existing wheels. I'm having a hard time finding these. Thanks!
If you're having a "hard time" finding aggressive looking tires, you probably haven't looked. Other people aren't going to do your research for you.
Old 10-10-2015, 03:58 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vs_jk
I currently have Duratracs and I would not recommend them. They are always misbalanced and I've had a couple places try to balance them. I've read a lot of reports online with people saying the same thing about them. So, it's a bit of a gamble buying Duratracs. You might get a good set. Or you might not.

I had BFG's before and will be going back to them once the Duratracs wear out.
That surprises me ...... I run Duratracs in winter and I know a bunch of guys who run them all year round and no balancing problems.... Not like the MTR's I use in summer...... Only thing I read negative about the Duratracs is their slightly weaker sidewall.... That said I've wheeled in rocks with them no damage done..... If you're not in rocks all the time those are the ones I'd buy. They give you that aggressive look you want and come winter are the best tire(aggressive look) for the winter snowflake rated.... Good luck
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1826838606.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	541.1 KB
ID:	626926  

Last edited by robsjeep9; 10-10-2015 at 04:02 PM.
Old 10-10-2015, 04:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tcjeepdriver- Saharas use 18"wheels and 32" tires, not 28". You can go up to 33" tall but less than 11" wide without lift, without wheel spacers. You may have to do a minor steer-stop adjustment. Look into wheel spacers to increase track: (a) it looks great (b) decreases roll in turns.

Quick Reply: Tire upgrade recommendations...