Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Tired of getting warranty work denied?

Old 11-02-2007, 12:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tired of getting warranty work denied?

I know that there are a ton of us out there that are afraid of teh service department and dealing with them because of our lifts or accessories. luckily, there is the Magnuson-Moss act. It says that its at the burden of the dealer to prove that the defective part was caused by an alteratiion that YOU made to the vehicle, NO MATTER WHO INSTALLED IT. the dealers know that you probably wont go hire a lawyer every time to get something fixxed, so they regularly tell you that it not covered because of a lift , or tires, or chip, or air intake, or whatever you have. the key to getting stuff covered under warranty is to build a good rapport with your dealer, esp the service writer or service manager. They sit there all day and take a load of crap from 100 other customers, dont get caught up in the notion that yours is the only vehicle there. When I bought my Jeep, I made some frivilous trips to the dealer for misc little warranty claims. I picked little things like creaky plastic, easily scratching plastic etc. I knew that there would not be a fix for it but it gave me time to know the service department and the managers and service writers. Everytime I picked it up, I took in a small 20- $30 gift certificate for dinner or movies etc. and gave it to the service manager and thanked him for the awesome service. (just a hint, dont forget to tip the guy that takes you home after you drop off your vehicle, it will ensure that you are picked up and dropped off before the chincy clients) I then waited for the service questionaire / survey and sang the praises of the shop and especially named the people that I will want in my corner when I break something expensive. Lets be honest, everybody has a price.....whether thats good or bad, its the american way and one hand washes the other. Its a little sly but it makes it harder for them to deny your claim when they remember that it was you that allowed them to take thier wife out for dinner one night or bought their whole family movie passes. Just decide how much good service is worth to you and dont be cheap. I Promise you.....it will pay off in the long run. this is free advice and free for the taking or ignoring.

Last edited by billycj7; 11-02-2007 at 02:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Tired of getting warranty work denied?